Learning About the Past In Todays Corps - LFI

LFI - looking for information.....

Read a thread on a FB page yesterday that kind of made me sick. IMO a rant that todays members either don't know, don't care and/or disrespect DCs past. No idea what the real problem was as the OP was vague. And I disagreed with him and the way he expressed it anyway.

So know this has been discussed before but has been a while. Do corps, staff or members do anything to inform current members of their corps history (or the history of DC in general). Doesn't matter if it is a formal thing or just members talking to older staff or volunteers looking for info. Just want to make sure I know what I am talking about if I decide to respond to some of the crap I read.

Thanks in advance.......

Read a thread on a FB page yesterday that kind of made me sick. IMO a rant that todays members either don't know, don't care and/or disrespect DCs past. No idea what the real problem was as the OP was vague. And I disagreed with him and the way he expressed it anyway.

So know this has been discussed before but has been a while. Do corps, staff or members do anything to inform current members of their corps history (or the history of DC in general). Doesn't matter if it is a formal thing or just members talking to older staff or volunteers looking for info. Just want to make sure I know what I am talking about if I decide to respond to some of the crap I read.

Thanks in advance.......

As a matter of protocol and procedure, the Kilties supply a brief 2 page history of the corps to all the members of the organization.

It covers from exactly how, where and when the corps was started and by exactly who in 1934, through the process of being a younger all-boy activity of the YMCA through the present version of the coed all age version.

Key individuals are highlighted along with such items as the uniform history (different tartans worn), the hows and whys, etc.

The Troopers alumni connection between "young" and "old" is very strong, I feel. Young members have always seemed very eager to ask the older alumni about what it was like when they marched. We've heard a lot of the stories about Jim Jones and have a huge amount of respect and reverence for his legacy.

We were taught to show respect for the people of Wyoming, and they in turn always showed us a lot of respect and support at our public appearances there (I recall a parade in Casper where an old military vet yanked some kid out of the street when he almost wandered into our parade block, yelling "show some respect for your Troopers!")

Also, every year the Troopers have a "history night" where they listen to the judges' tape from the 1979 show, accompanied with narration from John Masterson (the drum major). There's even a video of it, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktuvQYWygI

I don't know about now, but when I marched we also had some classic Troopers shows on our preshow hype CD that we would listen to on our way to shows.

Troopers members are also very aware of the classic Troopers drill moves, such as the sunburst, wagon wheel, drum major suicide, and rifle triple over the flags, as well as classic troopers tunes such as Ghost Riders in the Sky, Battle Hymn, and the origin of the corps song, and are very proud of them (especially when we get to stick them in modern shows).

There are also many traditions within the membership that we were told date back a long ways in the corps.

And as far as I know, this isn't very different from many other corps. I would talk with my friends from other corps about their history and traditions all the time as well.

Edited by TroopAlum12
  • Like 3

Thanks in advance.......

Boston has a history session (one evening while on tour) ever year where members learn about BAC's corps history from past staff and/or members...

• Like 1

As a matter of protocol and procedure, the Kilties supply a brief 2 page history of the corps to all the members of the organization.

It covers from exactly how, where and when the corps was started and by exactly who in 1934, through the process of being a younger all-boy activity of the YMCA through the present version of the coed all age version.

Key individuals are highlighted along with such items as the uniform history (different tartans worn), the hows and whys, etc.

Madison has history sessions with members on a regular basis which includes stories and viewing/listening to recordings. They also have a program in which new members are connected with an alum who then stats in contact with them where they swap stories, info, etc.

Alums are also invited and often given time with the current corps to interact.

Much of this is do to the fact that both the director and executive director are both alums, as are much of the staff and they realize the importance of current members knowing where the corps came from.

When we did Macy's, it was clear the respect the current corps has for their history and heritage.

• Like 1

I know when I marched that we would always look to vets (especially people that had been there for more than 3 years) for help and or alumni who decide to still be involved in the corps and in turn theyd tell us stories of how it was and their individual experiences way back when. I honestly think that that was a big part in my whole experience, feeling as if I had a home, and hundreds of brothers and sisters that marched before me as well as with me. I felt part of a legacy, and I could never be prouder. Now that I am involved with Senior Corps I can feel that same feeling of belonging and legacy multiplied 3 fold

The oldest continuously competing corps, The Cadets annually has a one day (two nights) history session about the corps' 81 year old history, the legacy of its founding at Most Holy Name of Jesus parish in Garfield, the uniform it adopted in 1939 and still wears, and the intricacies of the corps' development from Garfield to present day.

For over a dozen of the past years (probably closer to twenty) the sessions have been directed by Rev. Mr. Scotty McGarry, corps historian, who marched in the corps and aged out in the early 1960's; various alumni from the years as the Holy Name Cadets, the Garfield Cadets, the Cadets of Bergen County, and present day The Cadets assist. The book by alumni Dave Shaw and Gregg Cinzio for the 75th anniversary in 2009 is well known to the corps members; others may find it online.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

The oldest continuously competing corps, The Cadets .

Speaking about " Drum Corps History " here, I thought the Racine Scouts ( same name, same home base, Racine, Wisc. ) are " the oldest continuously competing Corps". Am I perhaps mistaken on this ?

Edited by BRASSO

Ironic that the question came up in a question about learning history..... :tounge2:

s/ guy who was in the oldest US (Kidsgrove older) civilian (Naval Academy older) corps.... but not continuous since they were inactive for a few years between the competing and non-competing versions (did I cover my butt enough?)

Seriously thanks all and anyone know about SCV or any other corps? Asking about SCV as the rant post on the other site was about a meeting with a current/recent Vanguard member and a BITD person. Either way I have some ammo if the OP gets nasty with some thoughts I left on that thread. Something along the the lines "if you want respect.... give it.." and "<bleep> I heard that ain't DC back in 1975".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Read a thread on a FB page yesterday that kind of made me sick. IMO a rant that todays members either don't know, don't care and/or disrespect DCs past. .

Boston, Cadets, Madison, Troopers, Blue Stars, SCV, Cavs, Phantom, I know for a fact have members that receive some levels of history of their Corps explained to them. My feedback.. from at least 3 of these listed Corps,... is that the members not only enjoy hearing of their Corps rich history, they relish it, cherish it. That said, they don't want to dwell in it either. They want to forge ahead, and make their own mark in history...ie, make new history.

• Like 4