Who plays what brands?

I wish they'd all go back to Kanstuls...or Kings.

Yamaha's are ok, same w/ Jupiter, just plz no Degs or Dynastys -blecch!

Seems most of the big names are on Yamaha brass and percussion. They certainly sound good. The Jupiter brass that Phantom, Boston, Blue Knights play (and others) sounds wonderful to my ears. Nobody had more sound that BK last summer, though that's not necessarily an indication that it's the best sound.

The Blue Devils modified KING brass was super amazing to hear last summer. In many ways, this was my favorite brass sound last year. Now, how much of that is there super talented players, and how much the instruments. It's always a little of both. Not sure if their horns were made here in Ohio (Eastlake factory near Cleveland), or somewhere else. If I was Phantom Regiment (who hasn't quite sounded like they used to) I would look into the King or Kanstul brass. The Jupiter stuff sounds great, but for Phantom's unique sound, I would love to see them back on King (but perhaps customized to their liking). $$$

I'll be interested to see how this new line of Kanstul brass works for Spirit. They have a wonderful facility in Anaheim, CA and their work is usually very high quality. I have a Kanstul 1570 tenor trombone with custom heavy-weight bell, gold brass, and Thayer valve (instead of their CR valve) and I LOVE IT. My favorite professional trombone, even over the Bach 42T or 42A (the new artist series). I feel it's more on par with the Edwards line.

Seems most of the big names are on Yamaha brass and percussion. They certainly sound good. The Jupiter brass that Phantom, Boston, Blue Knights play (and others) sounds wonderful to my ears. Nobody had more sound that BK last summer, though that's not necessarily an indication that it's the best sound.

The Blue Devils modified KING brass was super amazing to hear last summer. In many ways, this was my favorite brass sound last year. Now, how much of that is there super talented players, and how much the instruments. It's always a little of both. Not sure if their horns were made here in Ohio (Eastlake factory near Cleveland), or somewhere else. If I was Phantom Regiment (who hasn't quite sounded like they used to) I would look into the King or Kanstul brass. The Jupiter stuff sounds great, but for Phantom's unique sound, I would love to see them back on King (but perhaps customized to their liking). $$$

I'll be interested to see how this new line of Kanstul brass works for Spirit. They have a wonderful facility in Anaheim, CA and their work is usually very high quality. I have a Kanstul 1570 tenor trombone with custom heavy-weight bell, gold brass, and Thayer valve (instead of their CR valve) and I LOVE IT. My favorite professional trombone, even over the Bach 42T or 42A (the new artist series). I feel it's more on par with the Edwards line.

This is how I personally feel about the different brass lines:

Yamaha - best high brass instruments (I play a yamaha trumpet here at home).

King - best low brass instruments (although the Yamaha contras are also really good).

Jupiter - not really a fan. To me, they don't seem to respond as well or have the same tone quality as the above options.

Kanstul - no opinion yet. Only experience I've had with them was a few really old Kanstul mellophones my high school band used, and they were OK.

Again, my own opinion from a combination of experience and listening. Every brass player is different in the way they play, and therefore which instruments will be better for them, and also everyone has their own personal preference as to which ones sound the best.

Edited by TroopAlum12
  • Like 1

Yeah the BD sound was pretty great last year. And I do wish phantom would switch to King. I think it would suit their sound a lot better.

Blue Devils King System Blue Brass, Pearl/Adams Percussion

Bluecoats Yamaha Brass and Percussion

The Cadets Yamaha Brass and Percussion

Santa Clara Vanguard Yamaha Brass, Dynasty Percussion

Carolina Crown Yamaha Brass and Percussion

The Cavaliers Yamaha Brass and Percussion

Phantom Regiment Jupiter Brass, Pearl/Adams Percussion

Blue Knights Jupiter Brass, Mapex/Majestic Percussion

Boston Crusaders Juptier Brass, Mapex/Majestic Percussion

Madison Scouts Yamaha Brass and Percussion

Blue Stars Jupiter Brass, Mapex/Majestic Percussion

Crossmen Yamaha Brass and Percussion

Colts Yamaha Brass and Percussion

Troopers Yamaha Brass, Pearl/Adams Percussion

The Academy Jupiter Brass, Mapex/Majestic Percussion

This is how I personally feel about the different brass lines:

Yamaha - best high brass instruments (I play a yamaha trumpet here at home).

King - best low brass instruments (although the Yamaha contras are also really good).

Jupiter - not really a fan. To me, they don't seem to respond as well or have the same tone quality as the above options.

Kanstul - no opinion yet. Only experience I've had with them was a few really old Kanstul mellophones my high school band used, and they were OK.

Again, my own opinion from a combination of experience and listening. Every brass player is different in the way they play, and therefore which instruments will be better for them, and also everyone has their own personal preference as to which ones sound the best.

As a tuba player, Yamaha is hands down my favorite. They've had the same marching tuba design since 2003. The braces are solid, the weight distribution is perfect, the overall sound is good enough (low C is never perfect), and they hold up very well.

To be fair, I haven't played on a System Blue, Jupiter, or Kanstul yet. I marched a G dynasty baritone my rookie year and it was ... ok. I also marched a year on a King prototype BBb tuba circa 2003/2004 and it was unfettered garbage. Just about all the braces failed. My horn was held together by zip ties at one point. I'm teaching a group that's using the next line of Kings from around that era (before Jupiter came around). Those tubas are more sturdy and sound ok (at least on the low register), but have awful weight distribution and are difficult to maneuver as a result.

I'm not the least bit surprised that 9 of the top 15 hornlines use Yamaha. It's cool to see some competition from Jupiter though. My band director friends seem to love many of their starter instruments, and the marching line seems to be getting some traction. Their pro line on the other hand ...

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

just plz no Degs or Dynastys -blecch!

Capital Regiment got a whole new set of Dynasty Bb brass in 2004. By the end of 2005 I had had to take my tuba to the Horn Doctor twice, and still had to rig it with a rubber band, wood chip and zip ties to keep the leadpipe from falling off at Semis. They were also very bell-heavy balance-wise and heavy in general.

Another Dynasty story--in the early season of 2004 our brass staff was getting very frustrated by the lack of tone quality and poor intonation from the baritone section. After a show in Michigan, they played the horns...and everything was suddenly clear. They don't call 'em Die Nastys for nothing.

Yamaha tubas for the win. I think weight and balance has to be factored in along with sound, especially with marching tubas, and the YBB-202 is a champ. Much more resonant than the Dynasty too.