Need help with 2-valve baritone scales & fingering

Pyegar

Hi. On a whim, I just bought one of these---

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mBAYUIYkuSGnqtgDv3B2SOQ.jpg

Dynasty 2-valve Marching Baritone.

It has 2 'real' valves, and a weird thing on a spring (with a ring for your finger).

Although I can play trombone and emphonium (3 or 4 valve) I don't get this thing yet, although it sounds nice.

Can anyone point me to a reliable source of guidance for scales and fingerings for such a unit?

Thanks.

Having problems cut and pasting but google dynastic fingering chart or

www.dynastyband.com/graphics/buglefingerchart.pdf

What I used when I came back after 20 years and needed a brain jog on fingerings. Also used an eBay special to practice before I joined.

My old Alumni type corps used 2v Dynastys until they went to all 3v. The slide was used for certain notes that the horn instructor said were "off". We'd leave the slide about half way and push in on Fs and posibly some other 1v notes that I can't remember.

But we never used lyres LOL...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The only note you *really* need that slide trigger for is high G# (top of the treble clef). This note is normally played 2-3, but can be played 1 on any horn. Playing it 1 changes the note from being the 7th harmonic of the 2-3 (Ab) series to the 6th harmonic of the 1 (Bb) series. The 6th is roughly 30 cents flat on any horn ever built, so the 2v bugles were built with a reverse spring loaded slide trigger. The slide without spring is much shorter than what it should be, allowing the 1st valve to play the G# in tune. The spring and the stop nut setup allows you to tune the slide extended for all of the other notes.

This reverse sprung trigger is still standard equipment on the 2 valve Kanstul bugles ordered by The Commandant's Own USMC Drum and Bugle Corps. However, 3 valve G bugles do not have this trigger.

Hi. On a whim, I just bought one of these---

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mBAYUIYkuSGnqtgDv3B2SOQ.jpg

Dynasty 2-valve Marching Baritone.

It has 2 'real' valves, and a weird thing on a spring (with a ring for your finger).

Although I can play trombone and emphonium (3 or 4 valve) I don't get this thing yet, although it sounds nice.

Can anyone point me to a reliable source of guidance for scales and fingerings for such a unit?

Thanks.

Fingerings are the same as a 3 or 4 valve horn, but you don't have the ability to play anything that requires a 3rd valve. So, open, 1st, 2nd, and 1st & 2nd valve combinations are the only notes you can play.

• 1 month later...

The fingerings are identical if you are playing "Bb treble" or "Concert C Bass Clef" it's your EAR that's prob. messing you up. An old 2v deg is gonna be in G, so you need to learn to think a minor 3rd DOWN.

That is-- an "open C" a concert Bb on a "concert" Euphonium comes out a concert G, so if you're thinking of a Bb and playing a G? --you'll frack everytime.

Also being w/o a 3rd valve means ---> You can't play Gb (concert F) --- 3rd & 6th partial. nor can you play Db, C, B on the 2nd partial or anything below a G (1 & 2) on the 1st & pedal.

Don't bother with the false partial between the 5th & 6th it is WAY SHARP.

That bugle doesn't have the "tune any note" kicker which I use to tune the 4th partial (tendency : flat) and 5th (tendency : sharp) so just tune as best you can on "open C/Bb."

You only need to know 4 fingerings - open, 2, 1, 1&2 - your horn is best-suited to play a 2 or 3 octave concert C scale starting on middle C (Eb for you, "1", 2nd partial) ...also D, F and G - for your horn (in bass clef) that's written as an F, Ab and Bb - mid to upper-register octaves.