2016 Prediction Thread

Great post DrumMan. I agree with you 100%. BD was really young last year and we watched them grow up before our very eyes Finals week. Few corps could have overcame the QF penalty and pull out a win. A year later and battle tested, BD could be better than last year. Do it up Devils 2016!

^^^^^ GREAT post!! I agree so much!

I disagree with some of his takes, but it's so well put together. Every prediction post should have this thought and format.

• Like 3

I disagree with some of his takes, but it's so well put together. Every prediction post should have this thought and format.

That's perfectly fine, I'm not stating that any of that as fact, just my personal takes on what I feel could happen. :smile:

God knows half of that will probably be wrong, but it's just too fun to speculate. Might be a little ambitiously realistic on a few of my favorites, but I always try to back that up with some solid arguments and not just me gushing over them.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

That's perfectly fine, I'm not stating that any of that as fact, just my personal takes on what I feel could happen. :smile:

God knows half of that will probably be wrong, but it's just too fun to speculate. Might be a little ambitiously realistic on a few of my favorites, but I always try to back that up with some solid arguments and not just me gushing over them.

Over the years I've learned ( the hard way ) that one's opinion is just that, opinion. for me I have found debating someone's opinion just gets pages and pages of one trying to convince another to change that opinion. Why? everyone has their own point of view and what they think motivates that opinion.

Now with that said and where it gets very muddy is fact verses opinion. Right or wrong, some will base comments on experience and or what may or may not have actually happened. YES one can choose to debate if it should or shouldnt have happened BUT not challenge if it did or not. That would be calling one a liar and most I think try not to do that.

So, with all that said one's general opinion or critique of a corps actually makes for good conversation as well as different

" opinions "and points of view.

Your assessment's are great and are yours and can be discussed as to maybe why you feel the way you do or one can agree or not because they have their own " Opinions " You are respectful of corps as well as others opinions( to a fault sometimes, often I think you are running for office...jk ) and I think have been even open to others assessment's , so keep on doing what you are.

I've done this longer than I admit sometimes and have learned longevity in this activity depends on continuously learning and often that learning comes from not just the vastly experienced in this activity BUT from those new and fresh to the activity.

We all see what we want sometimes so I think and open ear is sometimes more important. I teach this way also , don't always trust your eyes BUT use those ears. A keen ear as well as open eyes makes for a great performer BUT listening to people in general usually reveals alot. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Over the years I've learned ( the hard way ) that one's opinion is just that, opinion. for me I have found debating someone's opinion just gets pages and pages of one trying to convince another to change that opinion.

Hence why I didn't try and debate points, just wanted to point out my appreciation of a great post on this often subpar thread.

• Like 1

. If someone stated that something happened in ( say ) 1984, but it actually happened factually in some other year, to point out that fact to the original poster is not necessarily " calling them a liar "... the poster is just pointing out where the originating poster most likely simply made a harmless, unintended mistake ( which we all do on occasion ). There are opinions ( we all have them ) and there are incontrovertible, immutable facts too..., and then there are also grey areas where we all just guess and speculate, and where there really is no right or wrong answer. But on facts that can be documented and verified with what is called " hard evidence ", there is no opinion , no matter how well stated, nor believed, that can alter" a fact." For example, if one states that the Blue Devils won DCI in 2004," no matter what they THINK occured ( now who should have won in their " opinion " ), the fact that BD did not win DCI in 2004 does not get altered. The comment that " BD won DCI in 2004" remains an inaccurate comment, even if nobody notices it, nor challenges it. And if the inaccurate comment is challenged, and its pointed out that the poster was in error, and then points out the factual correct info as replacement, it is a blessing,imo... as education in some small measure in this particular situation will have been advanced. And getting facts right is a good thing, not a bad thing. And that assessment is just my opinion.. of course.

Edited by BRASSO

where it gets very muddy is fact verses opinion. Right or wrong, some will base comments on experience and or what may or may not have actually happened. YES one can choose to debate if it should or shouldnt have happened BUT not challenge if it did or not. That would be calling one a liar

I would disagree with your assessment. For my reasons stated just above this.

I would disagree with your assessment. For my reasons stated just above this.

Well thats ok . I would agree ( if this is what you are saying ) people do lie OR see things differently. I think you are talking in very general circumstances . What I am talking about is if I have actually experienced lets say Cadets and what a judge happen to say or If I experienced Pio with a standing O in corn country why would it be challenged . It was my 1st hand experience not hear say .

Now I would agree that one persons perception can be different from another's

I would also agree about hard facts BUT I would ask according to who. I have seen many activities that, well lets say can stretch the truth like no bodies business. Of course you are right, some facts are just facts and cant be disputed like the examples you gave. I would agree 100% with your examples.

I think you get what i am saying here in response the post and drum's personal assessment's but as with most things this has been my experience with many sides of this activity and a multitude of levels .

I actually think we don't disagree but given certain circumstances it is just what it is and then there's other situations that are actually someones 1st hand experience as out of the ordinary it might be to public opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING