The Top 5

I know you can't compare scores from different events... but I've followed bknights.org's "Current Standings" for about 8 years now, and I've never seen the top 5 look like this:

79.85 - BD

79.80 - Cadets

79.50 - SCV

79.20 - Crown

78.90 - Coats

Different Events, but we have ourselves a season folks.

Sticking with the theme of ignoring specific scores from different shows - Bluecoats have finished ahead of Carolina Crown at EVERY show where both appeared (4/4), yet Crown is "ahead of" Bloo in the current "standings."

Spread between BD and Crown at Foxboro on Thursday will be interesting to see as it's our first chance to see a comparison between a top-tier group from the West Coast and one from the Midwest.

I think the list looks more like....

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Bluecoats

4. Crown

5. SCV

But with a point spread so close at this point in the season anything can happen. So...... given the fact that over the last few years DCI judges have shown a willingness to award corps for good show design, let's rate the shows this year based on fan response and approval.

1. Bluecoats

2. Cadets

3. Crown

4. BD

5. SCV

This is for entertainment and discussion purposes only, please no personal attacks or demeaning new threads......lol

• Like 1

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Bluecoats

4. Crown

5. SCV

But with a point spread so close at this point in the season anything can happen. So...... given the fact that over the last few years DCI judges have shown a willingness to award corps for good show design, let's rate the shows this year based on fan response and approval.

1. Bluecoats

2. Cadets

3. Crown

4. BD

5. SCV

This is for entertainment and discussion purposes only, please no personal attacks or demeaning new threads......lol

I have to agree. You're so insightful!

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Bluecoats

4. Crown

5. SCV

1. Bluecoats

2. Cadets

3. Crown

4. BD

5. SCV

Based on last night's show at Foxboro, Crown should be 1 or 2, with Cadets and BD way down the list. They may get critical acclaim, but the crowd reaction is definitely muted compared to Crown and Bloo.

Edited by Relics
  • Like 2

Yeah, that may be so, I know I enjoy the Crown show more than Cadets.

Based on last night's show at Foxboro, Crown should be 1 or 2, with Cadets and BD way down the list. They may get critical acclaim, but the crowd reaction is definitely muted compared to Crown and Bloo.

Basically what you are saying is that the crowd reaction to a show should decide who wins. I disagree. I get this sentiment, and we all want entertainment, but Cadets and BD are entertaining. Maybe not as much as Crown in your opinion, or in others, but that's a subjective thing. Being entertaining doesn't always mean being best. Competition is, at it's core, about who does something the best. Who plays, spins, tosses, marches, and cleans the best. Who has the combination of demand, content variety, design quality, and overall performance across the board in all captions. That's what determines winning. Not "did you like them?" I've hated a few BD shows that have won titles, but I understand they won on merit, not whether I liked the show.

I know fans want what they perceive to be the best and most entertaining corps to win. And they want the winner to be the most entertaining. But those 2 things don't usually line up. Doesn't mean the winner is not entertaining, it just means that for a specific person's taste they are not as entertaining as another corps. We can't proclaim winners based on the personal taste of specific people in the stands. "Let's measure the applause, or better yet let's tell certain people that their taste in shows is better than others and use them as a barometer." Uhh.....NO!!!

I thought Crown would be more than 2 points back. But I guess I'm watching different things. And I love Crown, my second favorite corps. But they are having some serious performance (brass especially) and program issues. JMO

But yes - the crowd loved them. Especially the band kids.

I don't read too much into crowd reaction when judging who should be on top.

As much as we'd "like" it to be, entertainment value is not the #1 priority, and does not always equal competitive success.

To be quite honest, BD, Cadets, and SCV are all more entertaining than Crown, to me.

I know you can't compare scores from different events... but I've followed bknights.org's "Current Standings" for about 8 years now, and I've never seen the top 5 look like this:

79.85 - BD

79.80 - Cadets

79.50 - SCV

79.20 - Crown

78.90 - Coats

Different Events, but we have ourselves a season folks.

I've seen plenty of seasons where it was bunched up like this on the July 4th weekend. SCV hasn't even gone head to head with Cadets yet.

My guess, by Atlanta Regioinals, we'll be down to 3 legit contenders, and by the time all the Corps buses roll in to Indy, it'll be down to 2.. possibly 3 ( at most )