DCI Recordings and Live Performance - Time for Grammy Consideration

Here are the categories for DCI corps to be nominated for a Grammy:

CLASSICAL - Best Classical Contemporary Composition

CLASSICAL - Best Orchestral Performance

Here are the new categories that we need to be created.

ORCHESTRA - Large scale music performance

VIDEO - Large scale music performance

Let's get busy.

• Like 1

Here are the categories for DCI corps to be nominated for a Grammy:

CLASSICAL - Best Classical Contemporary Composition

CLASSICAL - Best Orchestral Performance

Here are the new categories that we need to be created.

ORCHESTRA - Large scale music performance

VIDEO - Large scale music performance

Let's get busy.

Care to elaborate a little? I'm a little confused what you want us to do.

Care to elaborate a little? I'm a little confused what you want us to do.

Off the top of my head, I suppose that we are to inundate the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences with messaging...just venturing a guess.

Not a bad idea, since anything other would most probably be met with even less success.

Edited by HornTeacher

The Sky Ryders received a Grammy nomination in 1983 for Kerchner's arrangement of "Home on the Range." I want to say that it was eventually dis-allowed because of the limited commercial availability of DCI recordings (could be wrong). Would that same issue still apply today...?

But I think there have to be actual recordings made in order to be nominated... <Ba dump bump>

Mike

And who is to say that, at this point, such hasn't already been done? It's merely a matter, at this point, of releasing the recordings. GRAMMYS aren't awarded until next spring I think. Give it time...

After hear the stand still in Muncie last weekend, I wish more than ever we could get studio-quality recordings of some of these groups. Isolate the horns from the drums, then re mix them so that you can hear every nuance of the music.

That would be sweet ...

• Like 1

Some of the music played by these top corps are definitely performance award-contending material. Crown 2009 comes to mind.

Saucedo is an excellent composer, and the Cavs 2000-2002 comes to mind. Especially 2000, Niagara Falls. Incredible music program by itself, although I think most like the show for the visuals. Cadets 2000 was also another great musical program. Phantom 1996 opener also comes to mind. Greatest brass arrangement of any Shostakovich piece, period.

But at least 95% of music played by drum corps are arranged from other pieces previously written - and as far as orchestral, well let me just dare say that the day violins are allowed to march around the field is the day I quit following DCI.

• Like 1

Some of the music played by these top corps are definitely performance award-contending material. Crown 2009 comes to mind.

Saucedo is an excellent composer, and the Cavs 2000-2002 comes to mind. Especially 2000, Niagara Falls. Incredible music program by itself, although I think most like the show for the visuals. Cadets 2000 was also another great musical program. Phantom 1996 opener also comes to mind. Greatest brass arrangement of any Shostakovich piece, period.

But at least 95% of music played by drum corps are arranged from other pieces previously written - and as far as orchestral, well let me just dare say that the day violins are allowed to march around the field is the day I quit following DCI.

Then you'd better stop following DCI now. If I'm not mistaken, one of the corps (I think it was BK) had a member play violin in their show in 2013. Technically it wasn't marching,because the member played standstill in the front ensemble.