Seattle Cascades 2015 "Intergalactic"

Figured they deserve their own topic! Searched for one and there wasn't, so here it is. Was extremely excited to make one.

So their staff change last year created a show that I thought was just perfect for where they were and what they wanted to do. It was simple, within their bounds, appealing, and awesome. I think whatever they did to usher in the "New Cascades" they keep talking about were fantastic ones. Highly anticipating this years program. This is the kind of corps that keeps me coming at the beginning of the day at whatever competitions I go to to see EVERYONE. They shocked the hell outta me last year. For their size, was blown away.

Program:

1453276_582227168545718_5339612598453095

Don't remember specifics, at the cine-cast it lists stuff from the Planets, Short Ride in a Fast Machine, Star Trek, and a few others.

New Uniforms:

11667251_655711734530594_750056217465823

Saw a video of the show. Some personal opinions without spilling the beans.

• Best show since their 08 non fielding season.
  • Extremely crowd friendly.
  • It's World Class, a good few steps up in complexity musically and visually from last season.
  • Brass, drums, and especially guard are continuing to improve.
  • It takes a theme and music that's done time and time again and they make it their own in a very exciting way like last year.
  • They have A LOT of support, look at this crowd from their preview! They were going nuts in the video too.

11695493_655676097867491_128910238449373

Whoever took over, :babies: .

In 2013 I was getting concerned about the direction they were headed. They weren't horrible, just didn't stir any kind of reaction to me. Then I saw they had a revamp last year. Then I saw them at Denver last year, and it turned into one of the biggest surprises I've had show wise, became one of my favorite shows of the year. It missed semis by a TINY bit, but that corps had new life breathed into them last year. They were different. You could feel the energy coming off of them. And seeing the video of their preview show, it's continuing. They're reminding me of their Oregon neighbors in 2010 - now. Staff revamp, then little by little, consistently and methodically, they got a little better, and before we knew it they were knocking on the door of the top 15. I can see that happening here. They're bigger, but not WAY bigger. Their show is a step up in complexity and difficulty, but not too much for them to handle. They have a long term formula, and I'm very excited to see where they go with it. Best thing to me is hearing that crowd reaction in the video, it's amazing. Is the show perfect? No. Will it crack top 15? Probably not. But they know what they're doing and I'm a fan that's completely behind it. Looking forward to seeing this show time and time again this year, I love it.

I wanna buy a shirt. They didn't have a booth that I could find at Denver last year and last time I checked on their site they didn't have any. I always love to support my favorite corps a bit, and they're getting up there. Bravo Cascades, I'm impressed.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing! Cascades is not talked about enough IMO. I'm excited to see what they put on the field this year and it is great to see that the number of members has gone up from last year. I think it was 2013 at the Atlanta show some of the Cascades members sat in empty seats in front of me to watch other shows. I'll never forget some of the comments I overheard that expressed their disappointment and even embarrassment of their program. I felt that last year's show was a vast improvement and hope they continue that trend for 2015.

I love seeing so many corps from one state, but wonder if they would be better off to just have one. It seems some of the smaller Open Class corps struggle each year.

As for the uniforms, I'm a fan. They are very distinctive and don't look like any others in DCI. The guard uniforms are a bit simple compared to what most corps do but at least the color is vibrant.

Ya know what, I think people need to see this. Let me know if I'm crazy. It's a simple youtube search and filter by upload date away.

My favorite thing is that crowd support and they are oozing confidence and energy, at least in this video. I'm excited to see where they end up. Mark my words, this will easily make semifinals.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Glad you posted this! I think they will definitely turn some heads this season. The show is designed very nicely and the music very accessible. The narration isn't too overbearing and even the electronics at the 10:30 minute mark are fun - I think the crowd will eat that up. The ballad is perhaps my favorite moment though - love how they wove those two pieces together (I'm always a huge fan of The Planets). The guard is integrated very well into the show. They need to work on their clarity as they move while playing.

Cascades will definitely make Semis with this show. How far up they go will be interesting to see but I think they can challenge Oregon Crusaders and Mandarins for sure.

Glad you posted this! I think they will definitely turn some heads this season. The show is designed very nicely and the music very accessible. The narration isn't too overbearing and even the electronics at the 10:30 minute mark are fun - I think the crowd will eat that up. The ballad is perhaps my favorite moment though - love how they wove those two pieces together (I'm always a huge fan of The Planets). The guard is integrated very well into the show. They need to work on their clarity as they move while playing.

Cascades will definitely make Semis with this show. How far up they go will be interesting to see but I think they can challenge Oregon Crusaders and Mandarins for sure.

What is the ballad, I KNOW IT, but can't name it. I'll probably feel totally stupid when you tell me.

Loved it. Like the musical choices and the hornline sounds good. There are some places they could back off the Synth fill a bit though. Might have been where the camera/mic were but it over powered the hornline in a few spots.

Much improved over a few years ago.

One problem I have with the show ...

"Intergalactic" means "between galaxies", but since the Earth looms huge throughout the show, they clearly never leave our own solar system, let alone the galaxy.

;)