Using arrangements from other corps.

My band program in H.S performed the exact same program as Phantom's 2006 field show back in 2007. We used all the same movements though they were arranged to accommodate winds and trimmed down to fit into an 8 minute show. We even 'borrowed' some of the prominent drill formations...

I think all the pieces are public domain? But they must've been in contact with Dan and J.D.

Our identity at the time was odd to say the least. We loved Phantom! Well DCI in general (2005 show was straight up SCV 99) Our uniforms were exactly the same as Phantoms '96 ones. The original band director was one of the DM's for Phantom in '96 so that may explain why :smile:

Edited by gabe211

My high school did a show that was an exact replica of SCV 89 in my sophomore year and Crown 2000 in my senior year. Literally the arrangements were THE SAME except for the fact that we took out one section and the drum break in order to add our own. Same thing for the Crown show. Hell, we even did the magic trick thing at the end like SCV did. I remember my director talking about having to pay quite a bit for it.

I know that Wayne Downey publishes a great deal of work sold through his web site (xtremebrass.com) including some Blue Devil Classics. I believe he also works with a group or groups in Japan, based on some of his Facebook posts.

I know there's a ton of bands that have done a shorter version of Phantom's 2003 show. And I recall someone arranged Crown's 2013 show for marching band, but no marching bands I know of have actually played it yet.

Just a few things that may come into play...

Mechanical right:

A mechanical right is the right to record and distribute (without visual images) a song on a phonorecord for private use. Mechanical rights or a mechanical license must be obtained in order to lawfully make and distribute records, CD's and tapes. Recording rights for most music publishers can be obtained from
The Harry Fox Agency
205 East 42nd Street
New York, New York 10017
212-370-5330
Public performance right:
A public performance is one that occurs "in a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered." A public performance also occurs when the performance is transmitted by means of any device or process (for example, via broadcast, telephone wire, or other means) to the public. In order to perform a copyrighted work publicly, the user must obtain performance rights from the copyright owner or his representative.

Synchronization right:

A synchronization or "synch" right involves the use of a recording of musical work in audio-visual form: for example as part of a motion picture, television program, commercial announcement, music video or other videotape. Often, the music is "synchronized" or recorded in timed relation with the visual images. Synchronization rights are licensed by the music publisher to the producer of the movie or program.

Source: ASCAP