Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

Phantom will be fine. Brass is wonderful and the music book is, in my opinion, much better than a lot of what we're hearing from Madison, Stars, even SCV. I did not care for Santa Clara's music book at all. Love their visuals.

As for Phantom it's just a matter of cleaning and refining the drill to be more like the music and not the other way around. In my opinion, they need to redo some drill sets so they more closely match the music. Too much running around with their drill, and in many cases it doesn't make sense. That kills visual GE and also cripples the music GE. There is a focus problem with the overall show theme, but to me it really boils down to making the drill work better with the music. I'd have them in 8th right now, with Cavies in 6th and Boston in 7th. Phantom and Crossmen might be real close right now.

I guess I don't buy the "they lost Rennick and Shaw" excuses. That was four and five years ago. 2011 and 2012 weren't terrible. Yet 2013 and 2014 were not stellar, and this year is headed down that same path (in my opinion).

Just kind of waiting for a) something to change or B) the floor to fall out from underneath them.

Rennick was definitely a big loss. Phantom went from 1st in percussion in 2010 (despite a middling score overall) to 7th in 2011.

2012 they placed 3rd overall, but also 7th in percussion.

Having a consistently top performing caption was a great thing for Phantom, and has been holding them back since they left.

If the designers are "allowed" to program Cole Porter, then why couldn't they be allowed to program what, say, SCV is doing this year? A big lack of sophistication in the show they designed this year, and I don't think it's just a restriction on music.

I remember shaw being interviewed in 2012 talking about how the music for that show is stuff he has wanted to do with phantom but has been denied. Its definitely possible, and likely, that phantom has relaxed restrictions but i do believe it was a part of Shaw's leaving.

I remember shaw being interviewed in 2012 talking about how the music for that show is stuff he has wanted to do with phantom but has been denied. Its definitely possible, and likely, that phantom has relaxed restrictions but i do believe it was a part of Shaw's leaving.

In part, yes...but there's more to the story, and it shouldn't be discussed here.

• Like 2

In part, yes...but there's more to the story, and it shouldn't be discussed here.

Thats fair.