Bygone Open Class & Div II/III Corps

I was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown show on CNN the other night and the episode was featuring New Jersey. At one point, they interviewed a lady that funds and manages a youth drum line and dance group in a rough part of town and it made me wonder, what happened to the Spirit of Newark/New Jersey corps that existed not so long ago. I then started thinking of all the Div II/III corps I once remember seeing scores for that I no longer see. Curious, does anyone know when the following corps folded and if any of these organizations still exist with hopes of returning to the field?

Spirit of Newark/New Jersey

Marion Glory Cadets

Lehigh Valley Knights

Citations

Revolution

Dutch Boy

Patriots

East Coast Jazz

Yamato

Americanos

Scenic City

Esperanza

Capital Regiment

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Fever

Lake Erie Regiment

Most of these existed in the early 2000s, when I first started following DCI. Some of these placed high and some made it to World Class...others not so much.

Feel free to update on other corps too!

• Like 1

As for Spirit of Newark, they competed as recently as 2011. Then in 2012, someone important to the organization passed away, and they cancelled the 2012 competition season. Due to financial situation, they were inactive for 2013. Their website indicated they intended to tour again in 2014, but I guess it never happened, and they haven't updated since then,

Newark did parades, etc in 2012.

Glory Cadets--last active 2004

Lehigh Valley--2004

Citations--2009

Revolution--2012

Dutch Boy--2009

Patriots (I presume you mean Rochester)--2003

ECJ--2006

Yamato--2009

Americanos--2004

Scenic City--2003

Esperanza--2006

Capital Regiment--2009

Kiwanis--2005

Fever--2007

Lake Erie--2005

Thanks! I see a corps called the Patriots but not sure if it is AKA Rochester. Know if any of these groups still exist in any capacity? East Coast Jazz was quite strong if I recall - would be great to see them come back.

As someone who marched Golden Lancers (folded after 1997) and East Coast Jazz (folded 2006) the funding just wasn't there, and the effort to sustain these corps was tough for the few who were attempting to keep them running.

Lancers was in debt and not attracting brass players.

Lake Erie Regiment wasn't in debt that I know of, but wasn't attracting brass players.

ECJ had only a couple people interested in administration so rather than run themselves ragged, which they already did for a few seasons I'm guessing. They decided the stress of keeping a corps going with only a couple admin wasn't worth it. And they're right. The stress you put on yourself, when you're one of only two or three people doing ALL the work, isn't worth it. I watched directors age quickly in this activity.

I know ECJ alumni and staff are now working at Jersey Surf, and some have started helping with a group called the Defenders, which is an alumni corps.

With the addition of soundsport, some alumni have talked about putting together something, but again, people have lofty goals, but when it comes time to put some hustle behind that muscle... there's just no one wanting to step up and actually pitch in for the hard work of raising funds, marketing, and organizing the rest.

Edited by C.Holland

Thanks! I see a corps called the Patriots but not sure if it is AKA Rochester.

In looking over my index of all junior corps during the DCI era, I see that the Rochester Patriots were the only junior corps called the Patriots that were active after 2000.

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1

Yes. the Patriots were from Rochester, NY.

I think they still have a winter guard operating.

Lake Erie still operates the Lake Erie Fanfare which is a DCI show.

I wonder if the elimination of DCI’s Division III has had an adverse impact on the smaller corps?

In my own part of the world, when the Cascades won Division III in 2000, and the Oregon Crusaders won Division III in 2004, it gave each corps a boost, both from internal enthusiasm and external interest. Mandarins, Pioneer, and Blue Stars also hold Division III titles.

• Like 1

As someone who marched Golden Lancers (folded after 1997) and East Coast Jazz (folded 2006) the funding just wasn't there, and the effort to sustain these corps was tough for the few who were attempting to keep them running.

Lancers was in debt and not attracting brass players.

Lake Erie Regiment wasn't in debt that I know of, but wasn't attracting brass players.

ECJ had only a couple people interested in administration so rather than run themselves ragged, which they already did for a few seasons I'm guessing. They decided the stress of keeping a corps going with only a couple admin wasn't worth it. And they're right. The stress you put on yourself, when you're one of only two or three people doing ALL the work, isn't worth it. I watched directors age quickly in this activity.

I know ECJ alumni and staff are now working at Jersey Surf, and some have started helping with a group called the Defenders, which is an alumni corps.

With the addition of soundsport, some alumni have talked about putting together something, but again, people have lofty goals, but when it comes time to put some hustle behind that muscle... there's just no one wanting to step up and actually pitch in for the hard work of raising funds, marketing, and organizing the rest.

Dude! You marched ECJ?! LOVED them! ALWAYS rooted for them against Spartans :colgate: .

Erie now has the " Erie Thunderbirds " back, and Competing in DCA. They were a darn good Corps in RCA , and then DCA for many years.

• Like 1