Yamato

Americanos

Scenic City

Esperanza

Capital Regiment

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Fever

Lake Erie Regiment

Wow... so many great names on that list.

I remember a corps from Japan.... Pride of Soka.

Saw them at the 2000 DCI Div. 2/3 championship prelims in Maryland. They had one of the most insanely complex visual shows I've ever seen from a corps, on any level. Great stuff.

I wonder if the elimination of DCIs Division III has had an adverse impact on the smaller corps?

I think it's tougher now. Unless you can pull together 80 members it often feels like the corps aren't taken seriously. Where d3 gave a little more balanced field.

In my own part of the world, when the Cascades won Division III in 2000, and the Oregon Crusaders won Division III in 2004, it gave each corps a boost, both from internal enthusiasm and external interest. Mandarins, Pioneer, and Blue Stars also hold Division III titles.

It feels like if you don't have 80 members you're not given any credit. Div 3 leveled the playing field for the regional corps

I wonder if the elimination of DCIs Division III has had an adverse impact on the smaller corps?

I think it's tougher now. Unless you can pull together 80 members it often feels like the corps aren't taken seriously. Where d3 gave a little more balanced field.

In my own part of the world, when the Cascades won Division III in 2000, and the Oregon Crusaders won Division III in 2004, it gave each corps a boost, both from internal enthusiasm and external interest. Mandarins, Pioneer, and Blue Stars also hold Division III titles.

I wonder if the elimination of DCI’s Division III has had an adverse impact on the smaller corps?

What was the stated reason for eliminating Div. III? When that happened, how many Div. III corps were there?

And does Sound Sport serve as the new Div. III, giving start-ups a chance to grow? Guardians were originally a Sound Sport ensemble.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

What was the stated reason for eliminating Div. III? When that happened, how many Div. III corps were there?

The last time we saw the Division III championship, in 2007, 15 corps competed. (It's probably safe to assume that since the championships were held in California there were many Division III corps that didn't travel there.) There were only 6 Division II corps at DCI/Pasadena that year.

Edited by Northern Thunder

I was looking at Sound Machine for scores in the early 2000s and there is a corps listed as Patriots in 2003 that finished 2nd at the Div II/III Finals behind Esperanza. Is this the Rochester Patriots?

Yup. there was only one Patriots.

used to be one of the cheapest corps to march. I think it was only a few hundred for a full season.

with the numbers of corps shrinking at that time, i think DCI thought it was going to be better to merge div 2 and 3 into one division. Especially when div 2 was getting so small. (less than ten corps)

And does Sound Sport serve as the new Div. III, giving start-ups a chance to grow? Guardians were originally a Sound Sport ensemble.