SECAUCUS SHOW - CANCELLED

A true mystery. N.E. Brigand listed some good possibilities. I'll add one of my own to the fun.

Upon arrival that morning, the drum corps sponsor noticed scores of youth soccer players arriving. It seems the stadium was already booked by another tenant and the duplication wasn't caught by anyone beforehand. Because the sports event booked the place first, they held their ground and wouldn't budge. Frantic, early morning calls went out to no avail. There was really no other choice, but to cancel.

(or, maybe it was due to that wierd terrorist sighting down the road)

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

A true mystery. N.E. Brigand listed some good possibilities. I'll add one of my own to the fun.

Upon arrival that morning, the drum corps sponsor noticed scores of youth soccer players arriving. It seems the stadium was already booked by another tenant and the duplication wasn't caught by anyone beforehand. Because the sports event booked the place first, they held their ground and wouldn't budge. Frantic, early morning calls went out to no avail. There was really no other choice, but to cancel.

(or, maybe it was due to that wierd terrorist sighting down the road)

A plausible possibility....... understandable, although not acceptable to one side.......

• Like 1

Ok....so here's my picks for the show that wasn't...

1 Cabs 83.5 Continuing their persuit of the top spot with a vengance.

2 Fusion 80.20 Crowd fav...soaking up the LOVE

3 Hurricanes 74.75 Small but amazing....making their mark!

4 Sky 71.50 Lola delivers for Big Red......Theirrrrrrrrrrr Baaaaaack!

Well that was fun...wish there actually wuz a contest.

On 6/23, the Secaucus city council appears to have considered and accepted the Kiwanis' request to use the stadium:

Minutes: http://secaucusnj.gov/693-6-23-2015-mayor-council-agenda/file.html

Town Calendar: http://secaucusnj.gov/454.html

No mention of approving a soccer tournament for the same date.

This sounds like the true answer. Is it? You kind of couched it as if it were just another theory.

I have NO idea what happened. I have no connections. The type of snafu I described happened a few times over the years in Allentown, mostly over practice sites. Fortunately, the drum corps group ALWAYS was in the right and the teams were moved off. In another instance, and entire carnival (ferris wheels and all) set up just outside J. Birney Crum Stadium one day before the drum corps show. It was moved. :wink:

• Like 1

No matter what the reason, it's sad to lose a chance for competition. Surely, Sky was up for their first shot at a judging panel......

I just hope that word got out in enough time to save the corps some travel expenses, as well as their supporters from some travel.

• Like 2

Yes. This is too IMPORTANT not to have an OFFICIAL answer. The EXPENSE to all in order to make any Plans for PEOPLE and CORPS can make a BIG difference in the FUTURE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Example.

A very long time ago. The DCI Championships were out west, Denver or KC or something. The Championships were not on my (PBS) TV. So I drove about 75 miles to a place where it was on. Made Motel reservations and making SURE that that Motel would have a GOOD TV in the room. So there I was all set. The PBS station on. The Show(Contest) begins. I watch 1/2. The Intermission is on. The PBS Begging goes big time. I call in a $50.00 donation. The first Corps after the intermission, comes on. THEN they Switch to the Pennsylvania State Capital for Voting of some TAX law change VOTE. And never come back to the Championships. So, their I was sitting in a motel that I did not need to go to. FOOD, Money and Time wasted. NEEDLESS to say I DID not send that $50.00. About a month later I got a letter asking for the money. To which I sent them a Bill for the Motel, Gas, and about 1/2 the food money I spent. (Never did get a reply to that)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

All in all just unfortunate. From my observations, DCA contests are prerty much at turf fields now, and I think they go by something like the DCI regs, the show will go on if there is no visible lightning. The delays a couple of years ago at DCA Prelims I believe were because US Naval regulations and protocol were stricter in regards of lightning- something like a 20 mile radius of ther stadium. Big Sounds last year had rain for a part of it, the show was still great, Tom Moore tried to keep dry with a rain poncho parking cars- something I didn't envy...

1: Would have been nice for Sky to lay down a number before D-Town. My guess is they will go on after Excelsior, which is helpful for them in that a number will be on the sheets before they perform.

2: Hurcs are looking a lot stronger this year, but they need to keep establishing their momentum and placements, good for their morale, and bad for those who wish to pursue. A good number could have done that for them.

3: I'm sure Fusion and the Cabs would have wanted more numbers to compile and see of their numbers can trend better than they did at the last contest- some of the top-bottom spreads weren't where they would want them to be, I'm sure.

This makes D-Town a lot more important, a lot more.

Excelsior wants to get a solid number and establish themselves as a real contender for Class A Finals, not as a just happy to be there corps.

Bush, Sky, Hurcs, White Sabres all want to know how they relate to one another badly.

C2 wants to establish consistency and set a number to close on Fusion or get by them. They also need to get the Brass and Ensemble Music score more in line with the percussion numbers.

Bucs want to blow up the place and lay down a smackin' big humber when the dust settles.

Whatever happened with the contest- happened, and it's just a real shame. My serious concern is that the show will be back next year. When this happens in DCA, it usually means the show's done for, and that would be an upsetting thing.

Edited by BigW