Lower placing World Class Corps ---WOW!

Most years, we are discussing how great the 10-18th placing corps are getting. While those corps are great, I would just like to say how impressed I have been by the 16th-22nd placing corps this season. Pioneer probably has one of their best shows since the late 90s. Cascades have also really stepped up again this season. But the lower placing corps that is totally blowing me away this season is Mandarins. That show is absolutely amazing. I would say without a doubt the best show I have ever seen from them. I have always really enjoyed their shows, but this year the performance level is even higher than normal. I was almost thinking they could have been rivaling for 12th with Colts last night in Atlanta. In my opinion, I really thought Mandarins were better than Troopers, Academy, Spirit, and Oregon Crusaders, and they had moments of their show where I thought they were better than Colts and Blue Stars. But no matter what place Mandarins end up in, they might possibly have my favorite non-finalist show this season. And that hornline is awesome. I am really looking forward to seeing how amazing they can be in 2 weeks.

Congrats to all the corps in the 16-22 range. I really hope everyone comes out to support you guys at prelims, as well as the other 15 plus corps in Open Class. . If they don't, I can honestly say it is their loss. I know scores will probably never really accurately show how great these shows are.

Best of luck to all the corps in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 9

That was also my big takeaway from San Antonio. I hadn't seen a live non top-12 corps in 10 years, and I was blown away by both the sophistication of the design and the quality of the performances. Made me feel very positive for the future.

Mike

• Like 1

But the lower placing corps that is totally blowing me away this season is Mandarins. That show is absolutely amazing. I would say without a doubt the best show I have ever seen from them. I have always really enjoyed their shows, but this year the performance level is even higher than normal. I was almost thinking they could have been rivaling for 12th with Colts last night in Atlanta. In my opinion, I really thought Mandarins were better than Troopers, Academy, Spirit, and Oregon Crusaders, and they had moments of their show where I thought they were better than Colts and Blue Stars.

The Mandarins show is highly entertaining, and I quite like it. It's also staged pretty cleverly so that its relative lack of difficulty, at least for the brass players, is somewhat masked. Much of the time they play, they're in front of the front hash (and almost never behind the back one), and they don't play a whole lot while moving.

• Like 1

This is a great competitive season top to bottom. The quality of corps has clearly risen this year which is always a great thing to see. I wish more people would take the time to see these corps as they often are putting fourth great products. While not as clean and demanding as the upper echelon they are quite good in their own right.

When I saw the Mandarins in SoCal I was blown away. The quality of corp was so much better than I remembered...AND the size, I had to do a double take. I couldn't believe it was that same corp from Sacramento. I think that whole grouping: Mandarins, OC, and PC are better than they're being scored and should be a little closer to those above them. Regardless of the outcome, they're all worth seeing...even though OC isn't doing it for me, it's a quality product.

• Like 1

You didn't say anything negative about Crown/Cadets/BD/Judges.

IS THIS DCP!?!?!??!?!?!!??!?!

On a serious note. I agree, these corps are doing SO well. I especially love The Mandarins from that grouping! That trumpet section is on FIRE.

That's one of the reasons I go to DATR...to see the lower corps as well as whichever top 6 corps comes that year. It's a show that has corps from every level and they are all great to watch...especially this year.

Of course, the other reason I go to DATR is that it's the closest show...about 100 miles away.

Edited by Herk

This is a close grouping and lead keeps on changing. I love love love all the shows. Mandarins seem to be the fan favorite and justifiably, it's one of their best shows in recent history. But I doubt OC or PC will give up and it will continue to be a dogfight. I think PC had it the toughest given 2 bad draws the last 2 weekends, but who knows if that helped them or hurt them... at least it didn't take their fight. It's going to be fun to watch. Also I think there is a decent chance that Academy can overtake Troop and Colts with their fan friendly show. And then there is that big fight for # 12.

So while it's fun to see musical chairs at the #1-5 positions, the entire field is just great and not to be missed.

• Like 1