Attendance SHAZZAM!

I don't think that is as much a contributor for most people as the fact that last year, the shows were very, very good, which led to good starter buzz. Then this year the shows are VERY VERY GREAT. Like amazingly great. Like really diverse choices and unbelievable levels of execution. They truly are a must-see. That has not always been the case in the past.

This is precisely what I thought as well.

Don't have the numbers, but the Denver crowd was as big as I've ever seen it -- for a show that went directly up against Minneapolis.

Lots of factors to consider when examining the reasons for generally improved attendance. The improved economy, aided by lower fuel prices, probably helps. The "raising of the floor," i.e. the stronger programs being produced by every WC corps and not just the top few, probably plays a role, too.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

So, some of you know that our show, Dublin, was last night. I'd like to throw this out to see if there's any other anecdotal corroboration of what I'm seeing and hearing.

I won't say which corps, but I was chatting with a souvie manager early in the day about his sales and his season. He was almost shocked as he repeated what fabulous sales they'd had all season but, in particular, heading into Texas and ever since. A $10,000 (m) day, a $25m day, a $70m!! He said that it's not just him; most all of the souvie people he'd talked to during the year (and I'd guess that's all of them) were experiencing substantially higher sales.

Attendance, he said, has been fabulous all season.

And to attendance, I'll repeat what I was told yesterday with the utmost of respect: "...word is that Dan Acheson is changing his underwear nearly hourly with the record attendance being reported at every show".

Anecdotally, our show attendance numbers seem to back this up. It's not official, but it appears as though our attendance will be up by over 30%. Yes, we had two of the top-5, and yes we had the "hometown" 'Coats but don't be quick to credit the lineup - we've had at least two of the top-5 in each of our shows for nearly a decade (especially since we switched to late-season seven years ago).

And it wasn't our food trucks, as good as they were.

We may be able to place substantial credit on our Social Media outreach finally reaching maturity with a very capable manager.

But, I think there's something else. In general, across the activity, it appears that attendance is up across-the-board.

Anyone have other corroborating evidence, anecdotal or otherwise?

Congrats!! Yes, I think social media helps a lot, because that is where the youth is. Great way to advertise. I also think increase in numbers is due to a stronger economy. Let's hope it stays that way (knock-on wood). :)

As a professional researcher, I would love to get my hands on some demographic data behind the increases in attendance. But, it is good news to hear.

It could very well be the school outreach, but it would also be nice to know that millennial-aged(21-34) corps alumni are also attending the shows. It's easy in that age group to drift off from the activity as people start their post-corps lives. I know I drifted off during those years while I concentrated on my career and did travelling in the summers, only to come back later.

Another demographic possibility is the return of the baby boomers. A lot of my fellow alumni started coming out again when they became empty-nesters. Social media such as Facebook has helped people not only re-connect with each other, but with the corps they marched. Alumni associations are using it with some success.

The Crossmen have been having an alumni picnic in the park outside Allentown for years. The last two years have been some of the largest turnouts ever. It will be interesting to see if the increased attendance is apparent at Allentown next weekend.

• Like 1

I will add this possibility. Could this be one of the positive side effects of Fan-Network/DCI Live issues? More people attending shows "live" due to the failures on the Fan-Network/DCI Live side. I know I didn't purchase this year and will be attending additional shows to get my fill of Drum Corps.

Just a thought..........

This is my experience: I started the season going to my usual DCI live kick-off in the theaters, and then the Bowling Green show. Not too unusual, I always do something like this. But because of this year's product, I added the Hamilton, OH show. Then I waited for the shows to come back to Ohio and went to the Dublin show, which I always do (Shout-out to you, Garfield!) But I usually skip the Massillon show, since it is the Monday of finals week, and I go to prelims, semis and finals in Indy already. This year I am adding the Massillon show because this year, I just can't get enough. I know this is just anecdotal, but I think it may be true for more than just me.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

I will add this possibility. Could this be one of the positive side effects of Fan-Network/DCI Live issues? More people attending shows "live" due to the failures on the Fan-Network/DCI Live side. I know I didn't purchase this year and will be attending additional shows to get my fill of Drum Corps.

Just a thought..........

I'm happy for the attendance, but I think it's a process of having archives that were present for educators to introduce drum corps. Then you take those first timers to a show. As I stated in a seperate thread- the lack of VOD isn't going to affect the crowds this year... But in the future?? That aside this year's crowds are kick butt

I think you can't ignore social media...both for the kids and also dinos like me. I don't know about you guys, but I'm in touch these days with people I marched with in the 80's that I would have never stayed in contact with had it not been for Facebook.

Also, as far as the kids go...they are on social media CONSTANTLY...watching you-tube videos of their favorite corps, etc. I really think that has made a difference.

I found this out the hard way, but if you go to Ticketmaster to look at Finals tickets at LOS, you can do a view of available tickets for the show. I was going to buy a more expensive one so I could sit as close to center as possible, and lower. There was NOTHING available except the periphery. Granted there were adequate amounts of those tickets, but this is the first time I couldn't find ANYTHING in a central location. Yes, I waited too long, but I have never had this kind of struggle. Luckily one of our DCPers sold me a ticket in a great location, so I am set. THANKS, lastknight! The ticket came yesterday!

• Like 1