Allentown Again!

Big weekend ahead !

With the DCI schedule as it is, it's hard not to consider Allentown the most critical Regional Event weekend. Slip-up here, and there might not be enough time to recover.

The local organizing team welcomes everyone back for another year. If you've never done Allentown, there's no better time to visit the 'Way-Back Machine' called J. Birney Crum Stadium. Historic drum corps venue with many stories to tell. A couple of days in our gritty northeastern city can be a surprisingly good time! There's plenty to see and do in the town made famous by Billy Joel, and Yocco's, of all things!

Last summer, we detailed quite a bit here on DCP. To make things easy, just click on my name. Visit the Member Profile page and click on My Content (Page 3 or 4). You can plow through all of that on your own. Now, here's what's new . .

Downtown Allentown has been transformed. More than a billion dollars has been spent already. There's a new arena with attached Renaissance Hotel, several new restaurants with outdoor seating, including Shula's Steak House, a very good diner (Billy's Downtown) and popular Fegley's Brew Pub. Hotel rooms should still be available.

The downtown transformation has been stunning, and there's more to come. Actually, so stunning, three weeks ago, the FBI raided Allentown City Hall, the Mayor's office, and his personal residence! They suspect contract irregularities. Indictments are expected soon. Not to worry. If necessary, the interim Mayor likes drum corps! He's Ray O'Connell, City Council President, who is retired as Principal of Trexler Middle School. A most gracious host to Boston Crusaders and other corps over the years.

Allentown is a unique setting for drum corps. Like going to a drum corps show back when your parents marched. There have been renovations along the way. Most updates improved things, others actually hurt. Either way, it's far removed from an Indy, San Antonio, or Atlanta experience. Biggest difference, it's outdoors. Many prefer this, despite the weather risk. Let's also not forget, less expensive here than those other places, too!

Comfort facilities are a little lacking, but great concessions (new additions this year). A beastly hill to climb depending on your age and seat location. Plenty of parking, once you get the hang of it. Best of all, the amazing corps arrival and warm-up area in front of the stadium. Walking inside that bus/truck gauntlet is an experience you'll never forget. Curiously, hundreds of fans don't even enter the stadium. The scene outside the gates all night can be 'filling' for many enthusiasts . Sight lines inside the stadium are outstanding. Those arriving late without tickets find satisfaction up on the walkway, even out by the goal line. It's that good. Tip, if you consider your seats too low, go up top to stand off to the side, or maybe sit on the grass bank at either side of the upper level.

J. Birney Crum is a kindly, old gent. He's hanging in there as long as he can. Full of wrinkles, a few bruises, and creaky bones. Stop by to say "Hi" at least once in you life. But, do it soon, before he's gone. One day, the joint will be up for auction on Mecum, I think.

THIS is a true classic !

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

I'd like to suggest an out-of-the-way find that I think will be VERY popular among DCI East patrons...

At 905 Harrison Street in Allentown, there are three local establishments making their own alcohol. The Colony Meadery (http://thecolonymeadery.com/), HiJinx Brewing Company (http://www.hijinxbrewing.com/home.html), and County Seat Spirits (http://www.countyseatspirits.com/).

These are new, clean facilities in what seems to be a rundown industrial park offering free or very inexpensive tastings. Highly recommended!

I highly recommend the Allentown show! I am from Minnesota, but have done this trek twice, and it was well worth it! In 2008, this is where I first saw Regiment pull out the new "kill the conductor" ending, which set the crowd roaring. And last year (thanks for all the advice, everyone), where both the Blue Devils and Bluecoats made statements.

One of the things that was surprisingly enjoyable was the farmer's market or whatever it was at the fairgrounds nearby. There was a really long building full of wonderful food! I had pierogies that were outstanding!

• Like 1

Boy is it gonna pour Friday and Saturday!!!

This will be my first Allentown show (Saturday only). We plan on hitting Fegley's for lunch before heading to the stadium. See you there!

Good news, Eleran! Please come back and tell us your thoughts about the Allentown event . It's different!

Boy is it gonna pour Friday and Saturday!!!

Ok....Evil joke. Couldn't resist. After some rain tomorrow and Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be Sunny with temps in the low 90's will rule both days. :)

• Like 2

'Ya never know! It's sure happened before! I'll just stay home and watch, if necessary. :smile:

Well...as a Meteorologist...something I rarely do is guarantee the weather more than 24 hours out. But this one is a lock. BIGtime winter like Low Pressure moving across the upper midwest and Canada today heading towards Allentown. Once this moves through, clear, lower dewpoint, sensible weather will be the rule at least through Sunday. maybe some clouds from time to time but nothing to ruin a sunny day. it'll be a bit warm due to the drier air, but still, at least zero chance of rain.

• Like 3