Just a thought here...

and I know it would take a lot of work and maybe this has been brought up before, but...

It would be cool to see this section broken down into decades.

Such as:

"Historical Junior Corps of the 90's - 1990 thru 1999"

"Historical Junior Corps of the 80's - 1980 thru 1989"

"Historical Junior Corps of the 70's - 1970 thru 1979"

and so on. It would seem to make it easier to connect with whatever decade one marched in as each one was very different.

and it would help the picture thread where there is over 2800 pages currently, hard to go through that many pages.

Again...just a thought.

Thoughts?? Mods...is this possible...or wanted by others?

• Like 1

Gotta agree ... every so often an interesting topic will pop up and people will contribute some interesting insights, but those are far and few between these days ...

Since it's usually so quiet in the historical forum I guess there isn't any need to divide it up.

A few years back, when there was more activity here, it probably would have been a good idea.

• Like 1

Yes Andy you are right,.

I do not think History is a big thing anymore. Either here or in general, in the USA anymore. Sad as that may be.

I was Lucky to see and hear many of the Big Names of the '50s bring forth the Drum and Bugle Corps, (St Vincent's Cadets, Blessed Sac., Garfield, Kevin's, Liberty Bell, Lamplighters, Jersey Joe's, Princemem, NYC Skyliners, Cab's, ETC.)

Changes came, and Many of them(and us) left us through the years, Some kept on. But they and us, are not the same as they were. Still some keep up with the times and continue too win.

But as the Bayonne Bridgemen made Famous : " Those Were The Day's My Friend. We Thought They Would Never End. " (well for Many of us they have,)

Please those of you out there. Do Not take this wrong. What is done Today, is of the BEST Quality. Keep on doing YOUR THING. We of the late '50's, '60's '70's and early '80's DID. Now You have a NEW way. Good Luck to YOU, Enjoy.

• Like 1

Yes Andy you are right,.

I do not think History is a big thing anymore. Either here or in general, in the USA anymore. Sad as that may be.

I was Lucky to see and hear many of the Big Names of the '50s bring forth the Drum and Bugle Corps, (St Vincent's Cadets, Blessed Sac., Garfield, Kevin's, Liberty Bell, Lamplighters, Jersey Joe's, Princemem, NYC Skyliners, Cab's, ETC.)

Changes came, and Many of them(and us) left us through the years, Some kept on. But they and us, are not the same as they were. Still some keep up with the times and continue too win.

But as the Bayonne Bridgemen made Famous : " Those Were The Day's My Friend. We Thought They Would Never End. " (well for Many of us they have,)

Please those of you out there. Do Not take this wrong. What is done Today, is of the BEST Quality. Keep on doing YOUR THING. We of the late '50's, '60's '70's and early '80's DID. Now You have a NEW way. Good Luck to YOU, Enjoy.

Boy did you hit the head of the nail on that one. very very true...and very very sad. History is why we are where we are today. Funny though....when I was a kid, I hated history. Now I love it! lol

• Like 1

Since it's usually so quiet in the historical forum I guess there isn't any need to divide it up.

A few years back, when there was more activity here, it probably would have been a good idea.

What caused the tail off do you think? in this area?

then again...my other thought to that response is, maybe that's just what this section needs. Maybe it got boring??? idk.

Tweets, Facebook likes/dislikes and similar formats are ubiquitous, but for historical purposes, DCP is a much more viable idiom in my view.

For one thing, it appeals to an older crowd who are more comfortable communicating in complete sentences featuring actual words, as opposed to fragmentary bites rendered in pidgin abbreviations.

Beyond that, we are the actual custodians of the history of this activity and that carries with it an obligation to keep the discussion going.

Once, we were the young Turks, challenging the past. We passed the torch to the current crew and now they get to do it their way, just like 2 B says.

When Isaac Newton was praised for his scientific discoveries, he reportedly said, "I stood on the shoulders of giants". In that regard, today's instructors are no different.

• Like 3

Tweets, Facebook likes/dislikes and similar formats are ubiquitous, but for historical purposes, DCP is a much more viable idiom in my view.

I guess when I said they keep in contact with drum corps history through facebook, etc., I meant that they perhaps keep in touch with the people they associated with through those sites. I think most "old-timers" are more interested in the people they knew, rather than the literal history of the activity.

As a student of the history of drum corps I greatly enjoy sharing any tidbits I might be able to contribute here in the historical forum.

• Like 4