Just a thought here...

So ... here's a little tidbit for this "memory lane" thread ... St. Raphael's Bucs and the Bridgeport PAL were hometown rivals throughout their decade-long existence ... but, during that time, they only played one song in common ... can you name it?

:-)

I guess when I said they keep in contact with drum corps history through facebook, etc., I meant that they perhaps keep in touch with the people they associated with through those sites. I think most "old-timers" are more interested in the people they knew, rather than the literal history of the activity.

As a student of the history of drum corps I greatly enjoy sharing any tidbits I might be able to contribute here in the historical forum.

So ... here's a little tidbit for this "memory lane" thread ... St. Raphael's Bucs and the Bridgeport PAL were hometown rivals throughout their decade-long existence ... but, during that time, they only played one song in common ... can you name it?

Man of La mancha? just a stupid guess.....lol

Well then, I guess there was two numbers ... don't remember Rainbow by either corps ... keep guessing at the other number ...

In 1959 St. Raphael's played Over the Rainbow, and in 1960 Bridgeport played it.

We used to joke that there were certain "required songs" that all drum corps were compelled to play at one time or another. These included (but were not limited to):

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Over There

Stars and Stripes

You'e in the Army Now

America the Beautiful (which is apparently still mandatory for Alumni corps)

Give My Regards to Broadway...and a few others.

In this specific case, I'd just be guessing, and if the tune to which Andy refers was pre-1964 or so, that was before either corps had actually shown up on the big national radar screen (though both made a significant splash when they did), after which time duplicate repertoire became less likely.

Perhaps Poet Laureate Lisko would provide a small hint.

Brian ... don't think so ... the Bucs rep in 64 was Jericho, Gabriel Come Blow Your Horn, You Came To Me From Out of Nowhere, Victory March, Mississippi Mud, Cry Me a River, Up The Lazy River, It's The Right Place But The Wrong Time, How The West Was Won and The Shelter of Your Arms ...

Andy

hint ... St. Raphael's played it in 60 and the PAL in 67

"Just One of Those Things".

1961 Bridgeport, 1964 St. Raphael's

Edited by ajlisko

Actually Frank, the two arrangers were James Donnelly for the Bucs and John Sasso for the PAL ...

Andy,

Is that the one you were thinking of?

Did they play the same arrangement? Genero? Dreitzer? Pop Rouge?

Brian ... don't think so ... the Bucs rep in 64 was Jericho, Gabriel Come Blow Your Horn, You Came To Me From Out of Nowhere, Victory March, Cry Me a River, Up The Lazy River, It's The Right Place But The Wrong Time, How The West Was Won and The Shelter of Your Arms ...

The repertoires I have were published in DCN, the original DCW, Drum Corps Digest, Jay Tobin's personal archive. It showed that they both played Just One of Those Things. The reps I have for 60 St. Raphael's and 67 PAL don't show any common music. They must have changed their repertoires after they were published.