Fight for the 12th Position: Who will it be?

The 12th position is a dog fight. I've liked Troopers from the very start. Who's your pick: Boston, Troopers, Academy, or Colts?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Edited by Fan of the Arts
  • Like 1

Top 12 seems to be pretty set to the tune of about 3 points in head to head competition. Currently Crossmen hold that position and I don't expect that to change unless they move up. There's a pretty big gap between 12 and 13. One of the biggest spreads of any corps in World Class in fact.

Boston has been above Crossmen since mid July and placed above Blue Stars and Crossmen at Atlanta and San Antonio. Yes both Blue Stars and Crossmen have had impressive scores at shows where BAC did not compete, but competed in another show at another city, but the overall scores at that show were low across the board. So, based on what you are presenting, the obvious choice is Boston. Right now I'd put Crossmen in the 12th place spot. Troopers are improving, but not as quickly as Colts. Colts could be a wild card, but my guess is we'll have the same finalists as last year with Crossmen at 12th.

I have to agree, I think our Top 12 is set with Boston, Crossmen and Blue Stars filling the 10th-12th spots. That order may change often over the next couple weeks. I think Colts/Troopers/The Academy are too far back (averaging 2-3 points) from 12th. I'd love to see The Academy over Crossmen in 12th but oh well.

• Like 1

I'll provide a definitive answer after tonight and Saturday.

If you're planning on using Quincy as a measuring stick, you may be out of luck. The most recent weather report predicts heavy rain, possibility of hail, slight chance of a tornado. That won't stop me from going. Can I call myself a New Englander and not handle bad weather? I am hoping the show will go on, the storms will move through after 10 PM. As it stands, i 'm looking forward to seeing Colts and Pacific Crest. Also Oregon Crusaders will be having their first New England appearance.

• Like 1

At Atlanta, if we correct to assume that Cavaliers would be 7th or 8th, then the results around 12th were:

9. 83.475 Madison Scouts

10. 81.775 Boston Crusaders

11. 81.100 Blue Stars

12. 80.775 Crossmen

13. 79.000 Colts

14. 78.600 Troopers

15. 77.750 Academy

What's the biggest point deficit that's been overcome from Atlanta to Semifinals in the past few years?

• Like 1

At Atlanta, if we correct to assume that Cavaliers would be 7th or 8th, then the results around 12th were:

9. 83.475 Madison Scouts

10. 81.775 Boston Crusaders

11. 81.100 Blue Stars

12. 80.775 Crossmen

13. 79.000 Colts

14. 78.600 Troopers

15. 77.750 Academy

What's the biggest point deficit that's been overcome from Atlanta to Semifinals in the past few years?

These appear to be the largest Southeast-to-Semis point improvements since 2011:

2.70 -- Blue Knights 2012: from 0.70 behind Spirit of Atlanta to 2.00 ahead (11th > 10th)

2.50 -- Blue Knights 2011: from 1.45 behind Madison Scouts to 1.05 ahead (10th > 9th)

2.40 -- Oregon Crusaders 2013: from 1.10 behind Mandarins to 1.30 ahead (19th > 17th)

2.20 -- Crossmen 2012: from 1.45 behind Blue Stars to 0.30 ahead (13th > 12th)

1.75 -- Phantom Regiment 2012: from 0.15 behind Cadets to 1.60 ahead (4th > 3rd)

1.60 -- Cavaliers 2013: from 0.85 behind Madison Scouts to 0.75 ahead (8th > 7th)

So on four occasions in the past four seasons, corps by Semifinals have overcome spreads of the size that Crossmen held over Colts (1.775) or Troopers (2.175) at this year's Atlanta regional, and on two further occasions, corps have overcome a lead of nearly the former size.

Therefore it seems likely that at least one corps will overcome a two-point Atlanta deficit by next week Friday . . .

but that change may happen nowhere near the 12th/13th cut-off.

Edited by N.E. Brigand