"Championship" design vs. performance

so in reality, numbers and placement are being assigned on what someone has paid for, instead of what someone has executed.

• Like 1

When technical scores are within tenths of each other at finals, these scoresheet items become critically important:

GE - Artistry.
GE - Conceptual Vision.
VA - Depth and Breadth of Design.

CG - Overall Design and Concept.

Depth of design becomes the deciding factor among the top four corps. Which show has more humanity? Is more universal and unique? Shows a greater sense of purpose? Generates more emotion? Stirs the soul? Unifies the audience?

Thus the issue with this system. Its a designers competition, not a DBC competition. You could take the best MM of all top 25 corps and they would not score well due to the design.

Overemphasis on theme, story...blah, blah.

I remember years ago (late 90s) people talked about (on this board) having to have a story or theme to covey was not necessary. I thinks its a flaw

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I always thought SCV New Era Metropolis was an incredible show - it was just dirty. I have no doubt that if it were clean, it would have at least been 2nd and would likely have competed with Four Corners.

EDIT:

Looking through that year, 2001, any of the top 4 had shows worthy of a championship. Cavaliers just happened to be the cleanest.

Even Glassmen took 5th that year with an incredible show.

2001 was a great year.

Phantom, Bluecoats, Madison ... 2001 really was a great year. My first major DCI event: a hell of an introduction to the activity.

Cadets and BD both had incredibly solid shows and performances. There was just something missing in each show design.

With Cavies, I feel like 2001 was their dirtiest show during their 2000-2006 reign. I really don't think it was musically up-to-par with BD or Cadets, at least the hornline (some weird entrances and releases). Visually ... well ... that was the year Michael Gaines became one with the Force.

The sheets and entire judging system lean to heavily on the show design factors, and not enough on the performance. In my opinion, most judges can and do get lost between the difficulty or risk taking and the risk management. Something that looks hard, but may not be, so it gets a higher difficulty rating than it should. As Maneuvah stated above, BD has done a good job of managing or masking risk.

Thats just my opinion, for what it is worth...

Are you talking visually or musically?

Question: How should percussion be judged? What percentages of score would you attribute to which factors?

Looking at the recaps, Cavaliers scored a 19.9 in Visual Ensemble, good for 1st. Visual Performance was 19.6, good for 2nd.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/20010811div1finals.htm

There are the recaps from 2001 Finals.

Reward is given to good design as well as execution . These things go hand in hand. Can one out weigh another as far as numbers? sure, does it matter? Well, not to me

I think those who focus on one or just the other just don't understand today's programs or how difficult they are to produce , Yes way more difficult than we have done in the past. I constantly hear from some " Oh look at 1975, 83, 94 ( only examples , random years ) Yeah look back at some past years, Less design in some cases and not quite as executed as many choose to believe.

I listen often to some who look at ( example ) a rotating box from a corps verses a scatter drill filled with props etc etc Yes the rotating box is cool, very cool actually , easier? you bet it is, less complicated? you bet it is, None the less still cool. The look of random on the field is very calculated and very difficult for the designer as well as the member and techs. Remember if it looks easy, or random and hits marks every time it has been well developed and very much so worked to death.

AS far as effect with something bought verses done, Yeah, so! everything can be said about that. Dont we buy the flags, made by adults, the kid taught by a paid adult. That argument just doesnt fly IMO. Now you want to discuss what entertains you a " Marching unit " verses a performing unit ( as we are trained to think of it ) that's just a personal preference. These shows today are so difficult to not just put together but to teach and execute it's crazy to even think any of these corps are trying to get away with or hiding anything. It used to be called good programming at one time now everything gets nit picked to death when in actuality it is all far superior in content as well as performance than it has ever been IMO. Does any of this mean a person has to like it or prefer it , ( design verses execution ) no of course not .A successful corps needs both IMO and a spectator can prefer or gravitate to whatever they like in a program ( music, visual etc etc, design verses ex. ). Does one have to be entertained by one of those things more than the other? NO, thats only a personal choice.

Do I have a personal favorite? Sure, and many might be surprised by that answer BUT my personal preference has nothing to do with what the quality of todays shows are or if it is produced with bought ( others words not mine ) enhancements or not. Today it is about total package , not one aspect of it. Actually it's been kind of like that for decades if some want to admit it or not.

So IMO and the thread topic. design verses performance one can debate to what level a corps has in each area BUT to be successful you need both at a high level and IMO most corps , top to bottom are bringing it, especially this year. The beauty of it all is that one should be able to find anything they want with the quality of design as well as performance in today's drum corps.

JMO and what has been my experience in our activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

Design is the vehicle to having a successful show. If you're driving a crappy car, there's only so much you can do to spruce it up.

In the end, it's the execution that will determine the victor. But only IF the design is appealing.

Now that was easier ...lol..I hate long posts and there i did it...lol..youre right though plus without good execution good design just doesnt show through. You need both

Edited by GUARDLING