Massillon Feels The Noise 8/3/15

The final show of the season prior to Indy (along with the show in Centerville, Ohio) comes to Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. This outstanding lineup guarantees a huge crowd and

most of them will be screaming BLOOOOOOOOO.

This event is part of the NFL Football Hall of Fame events for the 2015 inductions in Canton.

This stadium is one of the LOUDEST on the DCI circuit. The capacity crowd are among the best

drum corps fans in the country. They will certainly be giving up some "Kinetic Noise" for their hometown favorite, but EVERY corps will be greeted with thunderous, standing ovations following their performances. That's just the way we like to treat our guests!

4:00 Ticket Window Open

5:30 Gates Open

6:30 Pre-show Entertainment begins

7:15 NFL Hall of Fame welcome

7:30 National Anthem

7:40 Phantom Regiment

7:57 Blue Knights

8:14 The Cavaliers

8:31 Intermission - NFL Hall of Fame Activity and Rhythm In Blue ('Coats alumni corps)

9:01 The Cadets

9:18 Carolina Crown

9:35 Santa Clara Vanguard

9:52 THE BLUECOATS

Encore - The Bluecoats...including (maybe) The Boxer...done Massillon home show style :-)

Awards - Drum Major Retreat

Judges:

General Effect 1 - Tim Gray

General Effect 2 - Ken Turner

Visual Proficiency - Bruce Jones

Visual Analysis - Bret Mascaro

Color Guard - George Oliviero

Brass - Mark Waymire

Music Analysis - David Carbone

Percussion - Jeff Ausdemore

Contest Coordinator - Tony DiCarlo

With the anticipated size of the crowd we advise you to allow plenty of time to park your car, get into the stadium, buy a program, hit the concession stands, hit the corps souvie trailers, etc. Gates will open 2 hours before the National Anthem.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1

We purchased out 5 tickets yesterday morning. There are few seats left, people. You'd better be here. Things are going to be electric!

Weather is trending better. Instability all day on Monday and then clearing at 6pm. Whatever precipitation there is will likely be associated with lightening. So...expect a potential delay, but it WILL clear and we WILL see the show!

• Like 1

This stadium is one of the LOUDEST on the DCI circuit. The capacity crowd are among the best

drum corps fans in the country. They will certainly be giving up some "Kinetic Noise" for their hometown favorite, but EVERY corps will be greeted with thunderous, standing ovations following their performances. That's just the way we like to treat our guests!

No doubt about it. I've not been in a stadium that is louder than Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. I imagine attendance will hit close to 8,000 people. Maybe 7,500 if weather is threatening and people debate whether they should go.

And you are right about the crowd. Every corps gets a huge ovation at this show. Fans love their Bluecoats in Ohio, but I think part of the charm of this show is that many in attendance are from all over the country (attending NFL HOF events). Everyone is just out to have a great time. No worries about placement, scores, etc. But Blooo will get the biggest ovation, no doubt. I imagine Carolina Crown will do well in that department, too.

I guess I thought BD was at this show, but I must have been wrong. Sadly I can't attend this year, but will likely go to Finals.

• Like 1

Weather is trending better. Instability all day on Monday and then clearing at 6 p.m. Whatever precipitation there is will likely be associated with lightening. So . . . expect a potential delay, but it WILL clear and we WILL see the show!

Yeah, I've been anxiously eyeing the NWS site all week, having bought my tickets a couple weeks ago. It has consistently been showing a chance of storms from Sunday night through Monday night, so I was very pleased to see starting the day before yesterday that the day's precipitation was likeliest earlier in the day. Right now, NWS says greatest chance of storms is between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Woo-hoo!

. . .

This event is part of the NFL Football Hall of Fame events for the 2015 inductions in Canton.

. . .

With the anticipated size of the crowd we advise you to allow plenty of time to park your car, get into the stadium, buy a program, hit the concession stands, hit the corps souvie trailers, etc. Gates will open 2 hours before the National Anthem.

Who's actually in charge of the show this year?

Last year we arrived at the gate at 6:45 p.m.* for this 7:30 p.m. show, which would be more than early enough to be seated on time at most other entertainment events. We found that the will-call line was enormous. I was in that line for more than 45 minutes. Fortunately, the show start time was delayed for fifteen minutes, possibly at the behest of myself and other people waiting in the line, who begged a passing volunteer to go plead our case with the show staff.

I know last year was the first time the Massillon show was a Tour of Champions event. That means corps who are likelier to draw a large audience (although Massillon had quite a large crowd the previous year, when the lineup included not only Cadets and Crown but also Cascades and Academy), but at least in the first TOC season (three years ago?), it also meant the shows were being managed by the top seven corps, who felt they could do a better job than DCI or the TEPs. I don't know if that's still the case.

In the course of talking with the volunteers last year, we were told that the Massillon show, in contrast to previous years, was being run by the Bluecoats, not the Pro Football Hall of Fame or the local Chamber of Commerce (although both were still nominally involved and provided many of the volunteers as requested by the Bluecoats). They said it was for that reason that the lines were so long, because the Bluecoats didn't plan to have enough box office support to accommodate the crowd--they were cutting corners.

Is that true?

*As is also the case this year, I took some people from work (meaning we had to wait until the work day was done at 5:30 p.m. to set out), and it's an hour to Massillon from where we are Cleveland, which is after all the nearest large population center from which a show might draw attendees. So it's just not possible for us to arrive earlier--and I think I'd have a hard time convincing new people to attend if they were told that not only does it mean two hours' drive but also that they'd be waiting around for more than an hour before the show began.

I'm so excited for this show! What do you think the chances are that they'll be playing Creep in the encore? I'm actually bringing 9 (yes, 9!) people that haven't ever been in band, and two woodwinds! $40 tickets too... It literally took a month and a half, but it'll be worth it :D I am buying them all a lil DCI organge cone for their effort haha(they're so adorable)

Edited by noahsigs
  • Like 1

I'm so excited for this show! What do you think the chances are that they'll be playing Creep in the encore? I'm actually bringing 9 (yes, 9!) people that haven't ever been in band, and two woodwinds! $40 tickets too... It literally took a month and a half, but it'll be worth it :D I am buying them all a lil DCI organge cone for their effort haha(they're so adorable)

I did this with the PPL park show, 13 tickets!