Common Corps tunes

So ... it's always been interesting to me how horn instructors "competed" with each other in the 60's by penning the same tune for their corps after "the other guy" wrote it for their corps ...

Here's some examples of Genero vs. Dreitzer:

Showtime on Broadway - Loretto (Genero) 1962 ; Skyliners (Hy) 1962

Trumpet Blues - St. Raphael's (Genero) 1967 ; Skyliners (Hy) 1958, 1967

I'll Walk With God - St. Catherine's Queensmen (Genero) ; Skyliners (Hy) 1962, 1963

Under The Double Eagle - Hurricanes (Genero) 1964, 1965 ; Skyliners (Hy) 1958

Rocky - Matadors (Genero) 1978 (maybe 77) ; Skyliners (Hy) 1977

Hava Nagila - Ballentine (Genero) 1964 ; Skyliners (Hy) 1965, 1966

Gershwin challenge: Rhapsody in Blue (Hurcs-Genero) 1969 ; Concerto In F - (Skyliners-Hy) 1969

Hmmm ... think they talked to each other about what they were writing at the winter meetings? LOL!!!

List your favorite 60's "anything you can do I can do better" tunes!

:-)

"Conquest" (Captain from Castile)

Rochester '63

Yankee Rebels '65

Sunrisers '68

Boston Crusaders '69

If we extend in both directions...

St. Vincent's '59

Cabs '75

There are several others, but I am uncertain of the years.

Edited by ironlips

Here's an interesting one ... 1965 saw two Jr corps play "On The Mall" for their Color Pre: St. Lucy's (George Rodriguez) and St. Raphael's (Genero) ... how'd that happen? ... the number was introduced (I think) in the early 60's by The Interstatesmem - taught by Dom Delray ... speaking of Delray, he also had a version of Hava Nagila with the Marksmen in 1965 ... the same year as Sky ...

Just thought of another - St. Joe's of Batavia (Corky Frabrizio) and Bpt. PAL (Sasso) both introduced Big Spender in 1967 ...

Hmmm ...

"Conquest" (Captain from Castile)

Rochester '63

Yankee Rebels '65

Sunrisers '68

Boston Crusaders '69

If we extend in both directions...

St. Vincent's '59

Cabs '75

There are several others, but I am uncertain of the years.

Edited by ajlisko

1965 saw two Jr corps play "On The Mall" for their Color Pre: St. Lucy's (George Rodriguez) and St. Raphael's (Genero) ... how'd that happen? ... the number was introduced (I think) in the early 60's by The Interstatesmem

The West Reading Cadets played On The Mall in 1953. The Interstatesmen were next (1962). The Continental Cadets also played it in 1965.

• Like 1

Brian ... check this one out in your files ... I seem to recall that both Our Lady of Lourdes (not sure who taught them) and St. Raphael's (Fred Cartwright) played This Could Be The Start of Something Big in 1961 ... both were fierce competitors in the GNYC in the early 60's ... Genero penned a version of it for the Queensmen in 62 ... remember that tune Frank?

This stuff is fun ... especially when you get into two corps that played a tune in the same year and regularly competed against each other ...

The West Reading Cadets played On The Mall in 1953. The Interstatesmen were next (1962). The Continental Cadets also played it in 1965.

Edited by ajlisko

Okay ... for your files then ... as well as I can remember for St. Raphael's 1961 rep:

Something Big

Pomp & Circumstance

Hey Ma Ma

Opus One

War March

Jamaica

Beyond The Sea

Our Lady of Lourdes did play This Could Be the Start of Something Big that year. My file on '61 St. Raphael's is not a complete one.

The only piece of music I have for them that year is Pomp and Circumstance.

Speaking of This Could Be The Start Of Something Big....

Steve Allen really had influence over pop culture in the early '60s, and you could certainly see that reflected in that tune of his.

Among the corps that played it 1960-1962:

1960:

Blue Rock, Fitchburg Kingsmen, Reading Bucs

1961:

De La Salle Oaklands, Kilties, Lourdes, St. Catherine's Queensmen, St. Joe/Batavia, St. Paul Scouts, St. Raphael's

1962:

Fitchburg, Green Islanders, Pittsfield Cavaliers, St. Catherine's, St. Joe, Troopers