Others that played in in '65:

Annunciators

De La Salle

Eastsiders

Interstatesmen

Reading Bucs

Rochelle Park Cadets

Sertomanaires

Sonny Cataneo wrote an arrangement for the Staten Island Thunderbirds in '64. When one of our guys ( Claude Suthard Jr.)went to BSGK in '65, his Dad suggested that number to the BS staff and they thought it could work for them also. Turns out it worked for both corps.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought DCW's 1973 American International Open Vol. 1 CD some time ago and listened to the first and last corps on the CD tonight. Black Knights played Man of La Mancha in the latter half of their program, Seneca Princemen used Man of La Mancha as their opener; completely different arrangements and presentation. Over the past 2 years I've been compiling the repertoire of Alberta All Girls and Scarborough Fighters/Seneca Princemen. When I checked corpsreps.com our 1973 version of Man of La Mancha wasn't listed? Maybe I should get out of the research department and submit my findings?

Years ago I bought MF's Eli's Coming album after I heard Kilties play it. Today when a song is cited on DCP, I'll sometimes check youtube for the original and hopefully the drum corps version too. Sort of the reverse of what I used to do. Drum corps introduced me to music and I'm grateful for that (btw grateful should be spelled greatful imo lol).This is a good thread. I've always felt it's all about the music. Thank you.

Over the past 2 years I've been compiling the repertoire of Alberta All Girls and Scarborough Fighters/Seneca Princemen. When I checked corpsreps.com our 1973 version of Man of La Mancha wasn't listed? Maybe I should get out of the research department and submit my findings?

My files DO show the '73 Princemen playing Man of La Mancha, Linda.

• 2 weeks later...

My files DO show the '73 Princemen playing Man of La Mancha, Linda.

It was an impossible dream to win big contests with our little corps but we ventured on and won our '74 nationals, in the rain. Thank you, Brian.

Repertoire from Broadway shows translated beautifully to drum corps, starting with the Skyliners version of "Oaklahoma", written for them in the '50s by Jim Donnelly. For years we could count on new production numbers flowing from sources like West Side Story, Funny Girl, Fiddler, La Mancha, Promises, Hair, Night Music, Flower Drum Song, South Pacific, Miss Saigon, Cats..etc.

It seemed positively endless, and the great arrangers like Crawford, Norman, Dreitzer, Sasso, Genero, Duffy, Markey, Baumgardt and the rest all had their individual takes on these themes, each of their signature styles almost instantly recognizable in just a few notes.

• Like 1

Wow ... Keith Markey ... I'm not sure if people here realize the influence his arrangements had on the broad range of corps he wrote tunes for beyond his association with the Air Force Corps ... terrific guy taken from us far too early in life ... he marched 72 Sky (I think on 2nd sop even though his forte was bari) and wrote a haunting rendition of Schindler's List for Sky's Alumni just before he passed ... it had a great amount of passion in each note and strain ... the perfect docile intro to a robust and powerful Hava ... I think it was his personal tribute to Hy ...

:-)

Repertoire from Broadway shows translated beautifully to drum corps, starting with the Skyliners version of "Oaklahoma", written for them in the '50s by Jim Donnelly. For years we could count on new production numbers flowing from sources like West Side Story, Funny Girl, Fiddler, La Mancha, Promises, Hair, Night Music, Flower Drum Song, South Pacific, Miss Saigon, Cats..etc.

It seemed positively endless, and the great arrangers like Crawford, Norman, Dreitzer, Sasso, Genero, Duffy, Markey, Baumgardt and the rest all had their individual takes on these themes, each of their signature styles almost instantly recognizable in just a few notes.

• Like 1

Mr. Markey's arrangements were not designed for amateurs or the faint of heart.

If you played the lead part(s), you lived mostly on ledger lines above the staff, and he never saw a sixteenth note he didn't like.

Naturally this made his charts ideal for the Air Force Academy corps which typically spent at least 8 hours a day in practice or performance. Weekend warriors, however, would face serious struggles, often with mixed results.

"Keith Markey":

Probably at LEAST 20 YEARS ahead of his time. I was lucky enough to be in Bridgeport back in the late 1960's when the USAFA corps did the exhibition at the Barnum, and heard and saw them at several USAFA Academy football games.

Several of our Royal Lancer guys marched with them in the middle 1960's also.

Incredible arrangements, incredible talent.

Elphaba