Legitimate question for discussion

This hypothetical may be out of left field, but it is something I've wondered about. I ask this in all seriousness. I'll use Spirit as an example.

Spirit opened their season on June 20, scoring 58.10. Last night in Pittsburgh (Aug 2), they scored 78.85. Now, forget about different panels, etc, Presume the same panel of judges scored both shows on the same sheets. The question I have is:

Do you believe that if Spirit had performed their Aug 2 show on June 20 (precisely the same: Aug level of execution, Aug show, same everything), that they would have scored ca. 78.85?

Discuss...

This hypothetical may be out of left field, but it is something I've wondered about. I ask this in all seriousness. I'll use Spirit as an example.

Spirit opened their season on June 20, scoring 58.10. Last night in Pittsburgh (Aug 2), they scored 78.85. Now, forget about different panels, etc, Presume the same panel of judges scored both shows on the same sheets. The question I have is:

Do you believe that if Spirit had performed their Aug 2 show on June 20 (precisely the same: Aug level of execution, Aug show, same everything), that they would have scored ca. 78.85?

Discuss...

No. They probably would have scored 62-64 range, and beaten a few Corps that had no such 5-6 weeks of practice toward refining, cleaning, and so forth.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Discuss...

No

Discuss...

I could ask this...Do you think Crown who scored a 68.1 on June 17th would have been beat by SOA score on 8/2?...assuming SOA started where they were on 8/2...I say no to that as well...one good reason while there sure are others of course....

...the show design

BD scored a 73.45 on June 20th. Do I think Pacific Crest ( that scored a 74.10 ) this weekend would have beaten BD if PC could have taken a ride in Doc Brown's flux capacitor machine back to that June 20th show and performed their show as they did this weekend ?

Sure.

When pigs fly.

Absolutely not. Judges opinions can differ greatly, but they all follow a predictable pattern. The scores increase night after night with very few exceptions. In reality it's foolish to think every show these corps do would better than the last, but that's the way it's scored, almost without fail.

• Like 1

If I correctly interpreted the question, my answer is YES. With a one caveat. That is, we must accept the judging sheets and judges are infallible, as to the moment with no future plan in mind.

If the performance quality and design presented in June accurately reflects a product that garnered such number, any higher or lower score at that moment would be a false read, perhaps on purpose. Not what anyone wants to believe can happen. Additionally, logic tells us that early number will rise over time through performer and staff effort and experience. Higher numbers are a given, two months later.

What is less likely to expect, is that such a higher score, earned so early, would rise by the same 20 points by August to a score of 98.85. But, it could. I believe there needs to be a certain early floor. For example, starting a Blue Devils in June at 95 would be problematic, I believe.

Edited by Fred Windish