Question on marching Open Class

I am 14 and I'd love for one day to march DCI World. But due to my age I was thinking of auditioning for an Open Class corps before making the step to World Class.

My basic questions are:

1.) How much experience do I need to march Open Class?

2.) What is the price compared to world class?

3.) Do I have to have experience marching (I'm not able to do marching band during my freshman year)?

4.) Should I audition for a corps near me or does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

I suppose it depends on which Open Class corps you are looking at.

At RCR this season there were quite a few members with little to no previous marching experience. The members ranged from high school freshmen to a few age outs.

With the price, again, depends on who you are marching with. RCR is less then half of what a World Class corps cost. And I know of places that are just as inexpensive. It's all over the board.

The best thing to do is to just check out a corps or two and see which ones fits you best!

• Like 1

My son did Open Class audition and spring camps while 13, turning 14 right before tour. He had only one season of high school marching experience (his school allows 8th graders, which he was at the time). The price can still be expensive depending on the corps - you need to check out the specifics of the corps itself, and watch for prices being broken out over different items so they appear smaller. Add them all up, and possibly travel as well if the corps isn't close to you, and it's a significant expense. Frankly, at that age, I'd first look at the corps that are closest. Where are you located?

• Like 1

My son did Open Class audition and spring camps while 13, turning 14 right before tour. He had only one season of high school marching experience (his school allows 8th graders, which he was at the time). The price can still be expensive depending on the corps - you need to check out the specifics of the corps itself, and watch for prices being broken out over different items so they appear smaller. Add them all up, and possibly travel as well if the corps isn't close to you, and it's a significant expense. Frankly, at that age, I'd first look at the corps that are closest. Where are you located?

I live in MA, and the corps that I know of closest to me are Spartans and 7th Regiment.

You can't go wrong with either of those outfits. I personally like what 7th Reg. has put out the last couple years a little better than Spartans, but that's a matter of taste. I also think that 7th Reg.'s fees aren't that bad (I looked into their details a little more, as a potential choice, but they were just a bit too far). If you march Open Class, I would definitely stick local given those two good choices, and save the larger travel expenses.

• Like 3

I live in MA, and the corps that I know of closest to me are Spartans and 7th Regiment.

As a 2nd season OC parent...

My advice echos much of the above... OpenClass is, I think, the right place to start...and more local is better.

If 7th and Spartans are reasonably close, explore them both. Most corps do camps prior to auditions - do those.

Then audition for both, spend as much time as your can with the members and instructors - you would be spending every waking minute of 2 months with these people, find people you like and respect.

There's no real rule-of-thumb for tuition (that I know about).

Also, if you're perc, check out WinterGuard programs. Both my boys started in WGI and I consider it a decent first step towards marching DBC.

The biggest thing is to DO...

• Like 1

As a 2nd season OC parent...

My advice echos much of the above... OpenClass is, I think, the right place to start...and more local is better.

If 7th and Spartans are reasonably close, explore them both. Most corps do camps prior to auditions - do those.

Then audition for both, spend as much time as your can with the members and instructors - you would be spending every waking minute of 2 months with these people, find people you like and respect.

There's no real rule-of-thumb for tuition (that I know about).

Also, if you're perc, check out WinterGuard programs. Both my boys started in WGI and I consider it a decent first step towards marching DBC.

The biggest thing is to DO...

Thank you! How much experience musically do I need to march OC?