Judging Panels for Finals.

Wondering what everyone thinks about the who and which ones will be selected to judge Finals. Also wondering is there really any chance of the panel being made up of truly unbiased people who can and will judge based solely on the performance before them and not from some previous feelings and bias they may have. Impossible you say???

It's so tight this year I bet their is an optimal panel that would put BD, Cadets or Crown in first. I saw that last year. Cadets had their panel at quarterfinals and beat Bloo by a point and Bloo had their panel Saturday and beat Cadets. BD was in their own world then. This year, it's all about panels.

• Like 1

Wondering what everyone thinks about the who and which ones will be selected to judge Finals. Also wondering is there really any chance of the panel being made up of truly unbiased people who can and will judge based solely on the performance before them and not from some previous feelings and bias they may have. Impossible you say???

New or old judges , one can always ask that question of practically everything judged. I think for the most part judges could care less who wins.

Edited by GUARDLING

You could certainly pick panels that would come up with different placements for top 4. I don't think this demonstrates "bias" as the OP has it. Different people look at different things, and value some aspects of performance more than others. There's no way to avoid that as long as the judges are human beings. I believe all the judges working finals week are "unbiased", in the sense that they are coming up with the numbers based on the performances they see.

I am also quite confident the top 4 know who they are hoping to see, and who they are not, this weekend. I'm sure they are letting DCI know!

• Like 2

I dreamed a dream that judging conspiracists no longer existed on DCP

After seeing some strange results over the season I just feel there still are some that play favorites. A corp who's guard has a sub-par performance only to win and have score 1 point higher than the day before with the same judges makes me wonder why this crap still happens..Maybe eye and hearing exams for all who remove any doubts some ma have lol. :tounge2:

In an inherently qualitative activity, I think it's ridiculous that people expect consistent quantitative results.

Performances vary (yes, believe it or not, the corps members are not robots), the expertise of judges vary, and their focuses vary.

To attribute the fluctuations in scores to a personal vendetta a judge supposedly has towards a corps is just plain laziness and honestly really sad.

• Like 2

You could certainly pick panels that would come up with different placements for top 4. I don't think this demonstrates "bias" as the OP has it. Different people look at different things, and value some aspects of performance more than others. There's no way to avoid that as long as the judges are human beings. I believe all the judges working finals week are "unbiased", in the sense that they are coming up with the numbers based on the performances they see.

I am also quite confident the top 4 know who they are hoping to see, and who they are not, this weekend. I'm sure they are letting DCI know!

"Subjective" is better word. When judges are asked to grade what they think is "great" vs. "very good" in categories like "General Effect", you are always going to get different points of view. Half the score is based on "content" and not "execution". Subjectivity is not bias. Subjectivity is built into the scoring system. They wouldn't have two judges if subjectivity wasn't at play.

I believe the vast majority of judges are merely being subjective in their scoring and not "biased" by the dictionary definition: "prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair."

It's like when two movie critics watch exactly the same movie, but one thinks its the "best of the year" and the other thinks it was "good, but not the best".

• Like 1

Let's just have all the judges be there. Or at least, have 4 judges on every sub caption. Then average them all out like normal.

• Like 1