Jersey Surf and competitive success

The bummer is that the members didn't fail. The staff failed the members. Administratively and design/instructionally.

Surf does some things incredibly well. They field the corps every year in a fiscally responsible way, while indeed making the it accessible. That's no mean feat, and will never be discounted, certainly not by me. But competitively, they have absolutely failed the members. I *love* the entertaining style, but it's almost as if the design team doesn't know how to make that work, and the instructional staff (in some sections) doesn't know how to create a fundamentally sound program in the time allotted.

if they'd solve those issues, they'd absolutely be competitive with their peer corps (Pacific Crest, Mandarins, etc).

Year after year, I find myself thinking the same thing, but mostly regarding that last point in bold. I've said it before - I enjoy the fun Surf vibe they've presented in many years, but you CAN'T pull it off and being taken seriously without strong fundamentals. Such basic stuff, like solid posture and marching technique, air support, attacks and releases... more often than not, these things are all missing from surf performances. So what is the real problem? Is it design, talent or instrution?

• Like 2

Year after year, I find myself thinking the same thing, but mostly regarding that last point in bold. I've said it before - I enjoy the fun Surf vibe they've presented in many years, but you CAN'T pull it off and being taken seriously without strong fundamentals. Such basic stuff, like solid posture and marching technique, air support, attacks and releases... more often than not, these things are all missing from surf performances. So what is the real problem? Is it design, talent or instrution?

I believe in that case the instruction is missing. Even the least talented MM can develop good technique with good instruction.

I love Surf as an organization, and wish they had made semi's but was not shocked they did not.

Early in the season, things looked good for Surf, or so I thought when I saw them in Foxboro, Bristol, and Lynn. In Allentown I thought they lost steam and while they wore orange capes in portions of the show, I did not see too many changes to the show or glitches fixed I also felt the brass book lacked excitement. Three of their musical choices "Here Comes the Sun," "Don't let the Sun Go Down on Me" and "Good Vibrations" could have been arranged in a more exciting way, and "Good Vibrations" should have blown us out of the stadium. That being said, the color guard was better this year, the corps did appear to be younger which is a major reason for their late start, and they do have a special quality about them that can't be denied.

I think they do need to keep the priority of a positive experience for the kids, but that can't be the only priority. Work on being more competitive. It will be a more exciting and rewarding experience for the kids. Keep the focus on entertainment since that works, but give the kids a show they are excited to perform, like Bridgemania in 2012.

In some ways, Bridgemania created a monster they can't top. What 20th place corps ever got that kind of love and attnetion before? At Allentown of all places, the stands were packed to see Surf!

And they haven't hit the home run to follow up. 2013 got close, but then in 14 they tried to be more serious, and this year they tried to bridge the gap. I'm not sure where they go. But they hit a wall in Open Class for a while too, and then turned a corner. Who knows?

• Like 2

It seems like there are three different personalities to Jersey Surf and they are caught in an identity crisis:

1. They want to be a serious corps

2. They want to be funny = Velvet Knights/Bridgemen

3. They want to be laid back = Florida Wave

Until they figure out who they want to be, they will be on the bottom of World Class with Pioneer.

Speaking just competitively about them...

I was so excited for them the year they honored the Bridgemen...EVEN though the quality of the performance was lacking...their best bet I think is to embrace the Velvet Knights/Bridgemen feel...that will work the best for them IMO...it gives them at least a unique identity.

But in order for that to work they need better show design and better musical arrangements...sounds like too many staff are part of the good ole boys club...perhaps a little shake-up is needed to get things moving forward in a more positive direction competitively.

Edited by Liahona

Bring on the funny corps and be creative. That is what got me their bandwagon. I fell off when they went all corps style on me and too serious. Make it fun for the kids and funny for the old farts

It's also been stated on this thread that there is also a lack of basic fundamentals being taught and I totally agree with that. The Bridgemen and Velvet Knights were the kings of comedy; but, they also could march very well and understood dress, cover, forms, etc. Both Jersey Surf and Pioneer, for that matter, just look like they weren't taught the basics very well during the winter camps. Those things need to begin at camp #1 and reviewed over and over and over; especially for corps at their level. When a bunch of open class corps look far superior than a world class corps, there are some issues at hand.

• Like 2

It's also been stated on this thread that there is also a lack of basic fundamentals being taught and I totally agree with that. The Bridgemen and Velvet Knights were the kings of comedy; but, they also could march very well and understood dress, cover, forms, etc. Both Jersey Surf and Pioneer, for that matter, just look like they weren't taught the basics very well during the winter camps. Those things need to begin at camp #1 and reviewed over and over and over; especially for corps at their level. When a bunch of open class corps look far superior than a world class corps, there are some issues at hand.

Bridgemen and clean were not always in the same category when they were competing. Scoring sheets proved otherwise, and when we watch their top shows they were impeccable. I can't say I remember similar comments regarding VK. However Bridgemen did have an incredible horn line and percussion battery. I know a Bridgemen alum told the 2012 Surf not to be afraid to blow their horns. This could help.

• 3 weeks later...

So by fundamentals... do you mean visually? Or do you mean like brass performance or percussion performance. Speaking only about this past season.

It seems like there are three different personalities to Jersey Surf and they are caught in an identity crisis:

1. They want to be a serious corps

2. They want to be funny = Velvet Knights/Bridgemen

3. They want to be laid back = Florida Wave

Until they figure out who they want to be, they will be on the bottom of World Class with Pioneer.

This is spot on. They need to figure out who they are and stick with it.