Penalties

Toby

In light of the recent penalties handed out during finals week, if a corps you have selected receives a penalty at a show, you incur a prorated portion of that penalty to those/that caption(s).

Reasoning: Added drama of score wonkiness.

The system is not setup to allow the penalties to be pro-rated throughout the caption sets. Well, I guess it could be done manually... by hand... every single night... so, no.

Penalties have been on my mind, though. One corps made Class A Finals with the penalty for forbidden GE captions. Should we leave that as an option to provide additional challenge (hmm, is it worth it to have BD in GE?) for the players? Or should the Class A GE rule be tightened up and the penalties made more severe (like DQ) next season?

The system is not setup to allow the penalties to be pro-rated throughout the caption sets. Well, I guess it could be done manually... by hand... every single night... so, no.

Penalties have been on my mind, though. One corps made Class A Finals with the penalty for forbidden GE captions. Should we leave that as an option to provide additional challenge (hmm, is it worth it to have BD in GE?) for the players? Or should the Class A GE rule be tightened up and the penalties made more severe (like DQ) next season?

DQ, a la muchachos. :ninja:

• Like 2

Given that penalties are usually not seen until finals week, is it that much of a issue to implement? Live season only?

I played in a fantasy league that had the penalty rule (FDCI), and my first win was because people didn't factor a large semi-finals penalty. They would of won finals, but the would-be-top-3 finish out of the top 12. I was rewarded for not risking it, and won.

It's an element that factors into play:

Would you use Crossmen knowing that you have a 1.4 penalty at semi-finals?

The original purpose of the penalties rule was for the penalty to wash out (or at least blunt) whatever points were gained from going over the limit. As I recall, the penalty got increasingly larger the longer a director was in violation. Adding the DQ provision for a major event (or being removed from their next regular show if it's during the regular season) would certainly give the ED some teeth to enforce this if the offending director doesn't make their changes in a timely fashion (which could be a little tricky based on how the timing of the caption change machinery works).

As for Crossmen's penalty, remember that that didn't affect any of their caption scores but was added on after their total score was tabulated, so that wouldn't have any effect on what we do.

I say nah to the DCI penalties (though I do remember freaking out about them in FDCI if any happened) and I agree with penalties for not following our rules here