Rules Proposal: Finals Week Caption Unlock

theinfinite

I would like to preface this by saying I don't actually know if this is the right place to post this, or if I'm even allowed to post here. If this is wrong, can someone let me know where to post, or simply move the thread? Thank you!

I noticed today when attempting to update captions for finals that there were four sets of captions I tried to submit and couldn't because someone else had already submitted the same choices before I even had the chance to do so. I understand the need for this, however this format rewards the people who update their captions earlier. So, because everyone is on a 24 hour personal clock, those who tend to update their captions earlier in the day have an advantage over the people whose clock doesn't reset until later, because it gives them the first chance at better captions. So essentially my proposal is this:

Finals Week Caption Unlock:

For finals week, rather than being on a personal 24 hour clock, captions unlock for everyone at the same time as soon as scores for that night have been posted. This eliminates certain people gaining an advantage by having first choice of captions, just because their clock resets earlier.

This is the proper forum, and anyone can suggest any rule change they want.

I noticed today when attempting to update captions for finals that there were four sets of captions I tried to submit and couldn't because someone else had already submitted the same choices before I even had the chance to do so. I understand the need for this, however this format rewards the people who update their captions earlier. So, because everyone is on a 24 hour personal clock, those who tend to update their captions earlier in the day have an advantage over the people whose clock doesn't reset until later, because it gives them the first chance at better captions. So essentially my proposal is this:

Finals Week Caption Unlock:

For finals week, rather than being on a personal 24 hour clock, captions unlock for everyone at the same time as soon as scores for that night have been posted. This eliminates certain people gaining an advantage by having first choice of captions, just because their clock resets earlier.

Ah, but you assume someone just beat you to the caption set that night. What if the set you wanted was taken a week prior, and the person with them is just "riding it out"? (This was usually how I played: last minute caption changes never worked well for me.) I can tell you that usually only 25-50% of the directors make changes between rounds during Finals week.

I understand your proposal. However, part of this game is advance planning and forecasting so that your corps is in the best position it can be as early as it can be there. Caption changes fall under the category of "you get what you can get" and are part of the learning curve. :cool:

Good luck tonight!

I think the timing to the limits works. I have to say a thank you to John D for all this programming he has done. It is a planning thing especially your last 3 caption change before finals week starts. I didn't really plan that out all to well for Open and Class A this season with those events starting earlier in the week. With World prelims on a Thursday it was easier to get those final changes in before prelims started or the 2 caption change a night to kick in.

I understand where you are coming from and I do think it's one of those things you learn over a few season just like real directors evolve. I did actually have a last minute change that proved very valuable but I knew I likely would, so I planned by not having any in the few days prior. I made the change Friday night HOPING Madison would continue to score well, knowing that Colts jump in guard would continue to trend up as they didn't make finals. When I made the change I didn't even know how Madison did Friday let alone Saturday and knowing the change wouldn't help me until finals. It's all a risk because as pointed out, it can bite you in the end too!