DCI Suggestion Box

Why do retreat if it looks like the last few years? I'd like to see that changed.

1.Incorporate some mechanism into the scoring system that recognizes "degree of difficulty".

Figure skating, diving and gymnastics all have it so there's no reason Drum Corps couldn't.

2.This will never happen, but don't let the GE Judges for Finals watch say the top 6 corps during the season.

That would assure that they get the true GE effect at Finals, and judging GE strictly on what they saw at Finals only.

They should have a "Fan Favorite" award! Starting on preliminaries they should have fans be able to vote for their favorite show through some type of social media app and add up all the votes from preliminaries, semis and finals.

The only problem i see with this is people have more biased favorites because their children march that corps and things of that nature. Mostof the people that attend these shows arent fanatics like we are. And some just dont have a clue.

Edited by derek.smith
  • Like 1

Every year i seem like i hope more entertainment value is put into the judging. A show shouldn't be champion if its not an entertaining show, even if its a sound show with great execution.

Every corps has hype trains. People will cheer less for BD because they don't want to see them win again. Best way to sum it up is look at Facebook likes. You can tell the top groups have more fans than lower. Some of those lower groups can be better than the higher but your fan perspective will skew towards the most fans.
  • Like 1

They should have a "Fan Favorite" award! Starting on preliminaries they should have fans be able to vote for their favorite show through some type of social media app and add up all the votes from preliminaries, semis and finals.

This is a great idea. Every film festival has an audience award and a judges award.

Exactly. Now i will admit Fellini and Ink has gotten alot of praise here on DCP more than 2007-2013 BD shows combined. But still at the end of the day BD will never be the fan favorite cause they have won so much. They can come out and do a show where they are moving 250 bpm the entire show and end with a massive company front that blows the stadium back 3 feet off its foundation, and people will still root for others cause BD has won too much. When you get to the top of the mountain, people love nothing more than to see you get knocked off. Cavies was loved in the early 2000's. But by 2006 you could start to hear groans that they was winning too much.

I completely agree. The thing is, as much as I really hoped Crown would win last night, the Blue Devils organization is the model to which every single corps should aspire. Where would this activity be today without them? I may not like the way they work the sheets, but I certainly have utmost respect for how they compete.

Every corps has hype trains. People will cheer less for BD because they don't want to see them win again. Best way to sum it up is look at Facebook likes. You can tell the top groups have more fans than lower. Some of those lower groups can be better than the higher but your fan perspective will skew towards the most fans.

Why don't more BD fans participate here? Seems odd that the preeminent organization in the activity would have more fans than anyone else.

What one person finds entertaining another might not. If you mean taking the crowd into account, than just say you want the crowd favorite to win. Poor BD will not win for years, because people are just sick of them winning and loudly cheer for any corps that has a shot to take them down.

If that forces BD to play something entertaining to the crowd, would that be a bad thing? I found BD's show as incomprehensible as their placement. A cultural stream-of-consciousness soup, performed clean as a whistle - meh. Am I just too simple-minded to appreciate BD, or are all the other shows too simplistic to compete? The idea of other corps going that way in order to compete and having to watch an entire evening of super-sophisticated Dada is not appealing. What the audience thinks should matter at least a little.

• Like 1

If that forces BD to play something entertaining to the crowd, would that be a bad thing? I found BD's show as incomprehensible as their placement. A cultural stream-of-consciousness soup, performed clean as a whistle - meh. Am I just too simple-minded to appreciate BD, or are all the other shows too simplistic to compete? The idea of other corps going that way in order to compete and having to watch an entire evening of super-sophisticated Dada is not appealing. What the audience thinks should matter at least a little.

If you're too "simple minded" (just quoting you here) to understand Cinderella, Snow White, Jack and the beanstalk, ect. then I don't think theres much anyone can do to help you.

BD had one of the least esoteric shows of the year, especially when looking at other top shows like the Bluecoats and Blue knights(both of which I loved)

Actually IMO this year was the least esoteric show BD has done since 2006

Edited by Aké
  • Like 4

This was BD's most melodic and cohesive show in a very long time. Probably more cohesive than Felliniesque. If you didn't like this show, not sure which one you will

• Like 4