DCI Suggestion Box

If you're too "simple minded" (just quoting you here) to understand Cinderella, Snow White, Jack and the beanstalk, ect. then I don't think theres much anyone can do to help you.

BD had one of the least esoteric shows of the year, especially when looking at other top shows like the Bluecoats and Blue knights(both of which I loved)

Actually IMO this year was the least esoteric show BD has done since 2006

I didn't understand the connection between Sweeney Todd and Snow White. Do you?

• Like 1

Why don't more BD fans participate here? Seems odd that the preeminent organization in the activity would have more fans than anyone else.

Not sure what threads you've been reading, but we're here I promise :P and for the most part most of us say nice things and enjoy plenty of corps along with BD

Edited by Aké
  • Like 1

They should have a "Fan Favorite" award! Starting on preliminaries they should have fans be able to vote for their favorite show through some type of social media app and add up all the votes from preliminaries, semis and finals.

I'm surprised they haven't tried that yet. It's not a bad idea. The results would be pretty skewed though.

Every year i seem like i hope more entertainment value is put into the judging. A show shouldn't be champion if its not an entertaining show, even if its a sound show with great execution.

I don't like rock-and-roll.

I like most kinds of non-screetchy jazz.

I love classical.

I don't like most sports. I don't like most operas.

I prefer TCM.

How do you put a number on entertainment?

If that forces BD to play something entertaining to the crowd, would that be a bad thing? I found BD's show as incomprehensible as their placement. A cultural stream-of-consciousness soup, performed clean as a whistle - meh. Am I just too simple-minded to appreciate BD, or are all the other shows too simplistic to compete? The idea of other corps going that way in order to compete and having to watch an entire evening of super-sophisticated Dada is not appealing. What the audience thinks should matter at least a little.

You can't please everyone. Trying to "play to the crowd" is risky business. There's been plenty of "crowd friendly" shows that were panned. Some corps could do the Macarena and there would be some in the crowd who would love it.

I didn't understand the connection between Sweeney Todd and Snow White. Do you?

Uh both Into The Woods and Sweeney Todd are highly praised musicals scores both written by Sondheim, and they blended together perfectly, my opinion of course.

Sweeney Todd is definitely a "darker" musical and the opening hit is when the witch came out for snow white, they weren't exactly trying to have a "happy" moment there.

Edited by Aké
  • Like 1

This was BD's most melodic and cohesive show in a very long time. Probably more cohesive than Felliniesque. If you didn't like this show, not sure which one you will

I liked the 2010 show with the mirrors. I liked the ReWrite of Spring. I like structured story lines, not imagination soup. What about this year's show do you consider cohesive?

They should have a "Fan Favorite" award! Starting on preliminaries they should have fans be able to vote for their favorite show through some type of social media app and add up all the votes from preliminaries, semis and finals.

I think this was tried at some TOC shows a few years back. The audience was given a text number and could text in their vote. But, through the magic of social media, a certain corps' fans were notified of the voting procedure and that corps won with many of the voters not even at the show.

Not saying this is a bad idea. Just the ballot security needs to be worked out.

I liked the 2010 show with the mirrors. I liked the ReWrite of Spring. I like structured story lines, not imagination soup. What about this year's show do you consider cohesive?

Ironic because the 2010 program was probably the most "out there" of any of their programs as of late.

• Like 1