DCI Suggestion Box

Some Corps needs to think of doing a show theme along these similar lines. How about . . . "Constantly Risking Absurdity" or some such?

Just curious: do you like the 1958 Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem that inspired Blue Devils' 2008 show?

Just curious: do you like the 1958 Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem that inspired Blue Devils' 2008 show?

No, not particularly. Lawrence Ferlinghetti was never my cup of java, neither was Kerouac, Ginsburg, et al. 'Bunch of overrated, unintellectual, beatnik wastrels, imo. Some people like their work, and thats cool too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

C mor,

Just be advised that you will probably receive a letter in the mail from Garfield thanking you for your gracious donation of underwriting these score sheets whether electronically or printed.

Be prepared to have your cheque book at the ready... He doesn't run shows as a financial loss.

Perhaps we can arrange a barter for consulting fees.

:satisfied:

• 1 month later...

Most corps have an alternate or three who work hard, usually off to the side. I propose that they be allowed to march out with their corps, stand at parade rest, and watch the performance from a location, chosen by DCI for all corps, where they are not in the way, but not out of the way, and able to march off with their corps.

• Like 1

Most corps have an alternate or three who work hard, usually off to the side. I propose that they be allowed to march out with their corps, stand at parade rest, and watch the performance from a location, chosen by DCI for all corps, where they are not in the way, but not out of the way, and able to march off with their corps.

Nice idea!!! (I might also expand this to include any member who marched during the summer but is rendered unable to compete during Finals week due to injury. Related question: are any such members currently allowed to appear on the field for Finals retreat with their corps?)

Edited by HornTeacher

Nice idea!!! (I might also expand this to include any member who marched during the summer but is rendered unable to compete during Finals week due to injury. Related question: are any such members currently allowed to appear on the field for Finals retreat with their corps?)

I can't imagine there's a rule against those individuals joining the corps on the field during finals retreat. it's not they can penalize the corps at that point.

Although it would be interesting to have penalties in finals and have to re-announce corps if they move up or drop due to a retreat infraction on finals night.

hmmm..im not sure about this. I remember years ago with some corps with many on the old starting line just standing there at parade rest. As I remember most hated it , like people looked at them like the kids who couldnt cut it. I agree let these members put on the uniform, be on retreat ( if there is one ) BUT I would think most wouldnt like it.

I'll have to ask some members to see what they think . I also remember long ago seeing those members was kind of a distraction.

I do think not DCI but the individual corps should find ways to make sure ALL members feel inclusive rather than a visual us and them. There can be ways through the season to do this and i agree is important.

Marching on and off the field today is also quite different than it used to be. Today it's about get on and off ASAP

Edited by GUARDLING

hmmm..im not sure about this. I remember years ago with some corps with many on the old starting line just standing there at parade rest. As I remember most hated it , like people looked at them like the kids who couldnt cut it. I agree let these members put on the uniform, be on retreat ( if there is one ) BUT I would think most wouldnt like it.

I'll have to ask some members to see what they think . I also remember long ago seeing those members was kind of a distraction.

I do think not DCI but the individual corps should find ways to make sure ALL members feel inclusive rather than a visual us and them. There can be ways through the season to do this and i agree is important.

Marching on and off the field today is also quite different than it used to be. Today it's about get on and off ASAP

"marching on" should have the quotes about it given how many saunter, "hold character," piroette, and just "can't we get this over with"/"whatever" type of deportment. Some are appropriate, some don't seem so. Some corps have been spoken to. Ask the Cavaliers ( find the photo of "dead" Samurai dropping prone in front of George Hopkins at Finals Retreat, etc.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Please straighten me out on something?

So, there are now 35 pages of Suggestion Box items and related discussions here.

Is this all just pointless venting? Or does someone official at DCI read this stuff, evaluate suggestions on their merits and maybe prioritize suggestions for future board consideration?

Does anyone in an official capacity at DCI respond/react to suggestions that are made here? Does anyone at DCI have the job of listening to the fan base?

( ( ( ( I've got plenty of suggestions for the NFL and MLB, and there are plenty of places online where I can document them for discussion... but, going in, i KNOW I'm wasting my time... I KNOW that these organizations aren't looking for any input from me whatsoever. ) ) ) )

Edited by paulie1340