Are Corps Shows Offering Too Little Substance?

*You* might not have understood what they were doing, but anyone who's seen Into the Woods got it. Anyone familiar with K-POP music would get it (far more young people than anyone here realizes).

Indeed. I had a client come in Saturday to have me work on one of his foils and I had '14 Bloo running. He and his wife are moth music educators, so I put on '14 BD....they got all the Fellini references right off (and were amazed at what the kids did).

I like it when a show has enough depth that u can enjoy it more and more on multiple viewings. But a fair number of people, including potential drum corps members and fans of the future, only get to see a show once and not always with the luxury of knowing so much about corps that their attention is free to focus only on getting the theme. So if we want to grow the activity, I think it is a fair point that is being made.

The most successful show should perhaps work at multiple levels of exposure and understanding.

No, it's just not communicating clearly with you.

I didn't recognise it so I went out and tried to learn more about it. I did research on a number of things from Into the Woods to Dante's Inferno to a number of other show ideas.

Recently I found a practically mint condition box set of Turandot records. I snatched that up in a hot second. Thank you Phantom Regiment for turning me on to that. My next thing to discover is Bruckner (thank you Cavaliers)

If all you want is simple stuff that you don't have to research then there are other shows like the incredible Madison Scouts.

However if you are going to rant and rail real hard about how you just didn't get it... Then it is painfully obvious that isn't really what is bothering you. Stay classy.

Like you, I love doing research and stretching my box to learn about new music, i.e. what I did with Cavaliers and Bluecoats. But there's a difference between stretching yourself to understand something outside of what you expected and stretching yourself to understand something incomprehensible and something with little to no meaning or redeeming value. All the best, Chris

No, it's just not communicating clearly with you.

Well, then you could say that about anything. "All truth is relative" doesn't apply here. There is such thing as bad art. I could like and appreciate bad art, but it's still bad art.

Haha. Fair enough. But should a Korean Pop Song be easy to recognize by an American audience?

.... ...or 55-71 year old DCI judges ? They don't understand many of these themes either, lets be real.

We know this. The DCI Judges just a couple of years ago requested that the DCI Show Designers meet with them before the season starts so they can better understand the themes Corps are doing. Why did the DCI Judges take this unusual step ? Well, we know why. They were as confused as audiences were. The number of convoluted, anti intellectual, sterile, unemotional, disjointed, hopelessly abstract, etc shows this season was less than some other seasons, imo. But we still have a long way to go to enable both judges and fans alike to fully comprehend with clarity, thru, music, dance, what many of these Corps themes are all about.

Edited by BRASSO

I also discovered that in order to understand what the corps is trying to convey, you have to watch a show at least once (and probably more like 50 X) in the high camera mode. The multi cam with all the cuts and close ups, while my favorite viewing mode, does not give the total picture.....

Without Fan Network, I will never understand INK as well is I got Felliniesque.

I truly hope that 2015 top-25 are not lost forever due to sync rights....... I'm not done learning them !!!

• Like 3

.... ...or 55-71 year old DCI judges ? They don't understand many of these themes either, lets be real.

We know this. The DCI Judges just a couple of years ago requested that the DCI Show Designers meet with them before the season starts so they can better understand the themes Corps are doing. Why did the DCI Judges take this unusual step ? Well we know why. They were as confused as audiences were. The number of convoluted, anti intellectual, sterile, unemotional shows this season was less than some others, imo. But we still have a long way to go to enable both judges and fans alike to fully comprehend with clarity, thru, music, dance, what many of these Corps themes were all about.

Understanding something has nothing to do with ones age but ones exposure. As far as judges , all it was is an opportunity for one to explain their show if needed . thats it.

OP...I can understand some of your observations, but I personally love the direction a lot of DCI shows have taken where it's still about marching and playing, but NOT just about marching and playing. I am one that follows the corps season from beginning to end and I really love getting to know the shows and some of the "inner meaning" being portrayed. BD's shows often takes, for me, a few viewings to "get." But I almost always find myself saying "OHHHH...I get it now."

The season long development of Troopers "Wild Horses" was a joy to watch...same could be said for so many of the shows.

Yes that may not be ideal for those that only get to see a show once...but even they still get "the marching and playing"....and

THEY STAND AND CHEER!

• Like 3

I also discovered that in order to understand what the corps is trying to convey, you have to watch a show at least once (and probably more like 50 X) in the high camera mode. The multi cam with all the cuts and close ups, while my favorite viewing mode, does not give the total picture.....

Without Fan Network, I will never understand INK as well is I got Felliniesque.

I truly hope that 2015 top-25 are not lost forever due to sync rights....... I'm not done learning them !!!

Thats great you put the effort into watching something you might not understand the 1st time before maybe making a judgement..

Understanding something has nothing to do with ones age but ones exposure. As far as judges , all it was is an opportunity for one to explain their show if needed . thats it.

Oh, the irony in the group of DCPers that get all upset when corps put out their "pretentious show announcements". You know, the posts that say, "Just tell me the music. Do you think we're stupid and can't figure it out without you going all explainy on us?"

If the shoe fits....

• Like 4