Corps on the Move in 2016 - Who to Watch?

After another season has come to a close, there' some things that took place this year that certainly could have indications for the next season.

This isn't so much a prediction thread, as who do you think we should keep our eyes on going into the next season based on what took place this year? I'll focus on the ones I see have positive futures, I'm sure there are plenty that will focus on what corps might need to worry a bit.

Pioneer - Best put together show they've offered in years, biggest corps in years, and best performing corps they've had in years. Placements might fool some people, but I think they made some decisions in 2015 that will allow them to move forward in 2016.

Cascades - Their #NewCascades transformation REALLY took off this year. Jumped back into a very competitive semifinals with a show that, I think, was their best put together product and performing corps since their disbanded season in 2008. If this year is any indication, they keep the staff together, and the kids come back, they are one to really watch in coming seasons.

Mandarins - A LOT of praise to this show, and VERY well deserved. Their show as a complete product this year was pretty fantastic, along with a very high performance level. After a show that was incredibly lackluster in 2014, they followed with a show that was fresh and true to their heritage. First full fielded corps for them too. Keep it up. With shows like this, they can make some moves.

Oregon Crusaders - They flew under the radar in finals week. 16th in World Class if you take out Open, highest since their jump up. Very improved visual design and guard, increased difficulty, fantastic brass and drums. They have the elements there to keep moving up. Their show might not be my favorite from them, but they sold it VERY well and positioned themselves very well for 2016.

Troopers - Man, this show cleaned up FAST in the last week. They took a step up in complexity this year, and were nearly in finals (after a penalty, I know). I think this show was a very logical step forward for them. Now the real question is, what can they do to make the push in? I think it perhaps lies in Guard, but we'll see.

Madison Scouts - I knew this staff change in 2015 would either be bang or bust, and it was most definitely a bang. Incredibly cohesive and CLEAN showing at finals while keeping the fan friendliness there. They jumped 3 spots in an incredibly crowded field this year, keep that team together and they could be a threat for 6th or so in 2016.

Blue Knights - I'm still not sure if this show was as solid as 2014, regardless of my enjoyment. However. They didn't seem like a one hit flash in a bottle wonder this year that will drop back off to 10th next year. They seemed INCREDIBLY mature from a performance and presence standpoint. Come finals week they were trading subcaptions with Vangaurd, and even Cadets at finals (MA Performance). Like the Blue Devils, they are consistent for the most part across the board. They, along with one other, followed up one of their best shows with one that was just as good and competitive. They weren't a one hit wonder in 2014, the question is where to go from here?

Bluecoats - They found their niche in 2014, and made it work again in 2015. They have fixed their visual weaknesses from 2011 - 2013, and are up there in drums and brass. I think a show with just a tad more depth and difficulty...........could be their time. Just gotta make this formula stay fresh and do it in a new way again.

So what corps did things in 2015 that has them on your radar in 2016?

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I'm expecting the Colts to make a mive into the top 12.

Also, Mandarins should be moving up.

Only thing that worries me about Colts are the rumors of Marc Sylvester leaving. His arrival in 2013 was a BIG reason they've started surging forward IMO. We'll see.

ive learned you cant judge the next year off of the previous. Who expected Phantom to jump to first in 08 to fall to 9th the next? or Crown winning to Crown in 5th? Staff moves will be happening and some of your lower groups expecting to make a move could lose their good guy to a higher group.

I guess sometimes there are changes that are made that can be indicative of the future. I knew in 2013 when Colts did their staff revamp, they'd be a pretty big threat in 2014 and 2015 for finals, and they were.

There are corps I left off that I can see some staff overhauls coming/rumored. And of course some will happen that we don't see coming. However, I saw some things that some corps did that I can see propelling them in future years.

I agree with your insights. Even though this is the World Class forum I would include Legends on that list.

I'm kind of on the fence about Mandarins but it was great to see them marching a full corps.

They're on my mind for sure along with Genesis, who I wouldn't be surprised to see apply for world class soon. Legends made HUGE strides in 2015. Very promising future for them.

• Like 1

So what corps did things in 2015 that has them on your radar in 2016?

The Crossmen.

They got off to a strong start this year and this was the third time in four years they have made finals. They actually were in 12th in only two captions in finals this year and were closer to 11th place than the previous two times.

The competition was close all year.

People outside the organization haven't noticed, but they have been retaining more members year to year. They had 28 age-outs on the field.

I think it the design staff sticks around, it's not hard to spot the areas they have to improve. If the Music caption can catch up to visual caption, they can easily move up.

• Like 3

I'm interested in Louisiana Stars' next step too. For a 2nd year corps, they had an impressive sound out there.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see what Pioneer offers us next season. 2015 was a great season for them.