Phantom Regiment 2016

Another thing I'd like, since we're providing 2016 wish lists: a new ballad.

I mentioned previously that, with a few exceptions (e.g., crab walk in 93, silver poles in 96), Phantom Regiment has not been a recent "innovator" in terms of visual design. But they were always good for introducing a new ballad to the activity.

It could be argued that they haven't introduced a new ballad since 2007. They played some slow stuff from Turandot in 12, maybe some of the slow stuff in 10 was untouched by Glassmen. But picking nits aside, the Regiment hasn't given us something new ballad-wise in a while. Not only that, but in recent years they used a well-used ballad (Nimrod in 2013, a tune I associate with Crown), a ballad by James Horner (effing King Kong in 2014), and a less-than-inspired retread (Claire de Lune in 2015).

Be innovators with the ballad!

A few good ones that come to mind:

- 1993, Novorossiisk Chimes

- 1994, Claire de Lune

- 1995, Paganini Variation 18

- 1996, Intro to the Fourth Ballet Suite (ballad-ish)

- 1998, Un Bel Di

- 2000, Transfigured Night (WOWWW)

- 2001, Game of Pairs used before?

- 2002, Shosty's Piano Concerto No. 2

- 2004, Oblivion

- 2006, Ave Maria

- 2007, Flower Duet (maybe the weakest part of the show, but it was new to the activity)

• Like 1

I mentioned previously that, with a few exceptions (e.g., crab walk in 93, silver poles in 96), Phantom Regiment has not been a recent "innovator" in terms of visual design. But they were always good for introducing a new ballad to the activity.

It could be argued that they haven't introduced a new ballad since 2007. They played some slow stuff from Turandot in 12, maybe some of the slow stuff in 10 was untouched by Glassmen. But picking nits aside, the Regiment hasn't given us something new ballad-wise in a while. Not only that, but in recent years they used a well-used ballad (Nimrod in 2013, a tune I associate with Crown), a ballad by James Horner (effing King Kong in 2014), and a less-than-inspired retread (Claire de Lune in 2015).

- 1994, Claire de Lune

- 1998, Un Bel Di

- 2004, Oblivion

- 2006, Ave Maria

- 2007, Flower Duet (maybe the weakest part of the show, but it was new to the activity)

Wasn't 2010 completely new too? But I get your point. I definitely hope to see PR innovating on that front again.

- 1994, Claire de Lune

- 1998, Un Bel Di

- 2004, Oblivion

- 2006, Ave Maria

I totally agree. As you say, Flower Duet (from Lakme) may have been a weaker point in the show, but it was still lovely and fresh! I would like to see more of this.

Wasn't 2010 completely new too? But I get your point. I definitely hope to see PR innovating on that front again.

As I said in my post, the Glassmen previously played Old/New Moon in 2002. Maybe Regiment's ballad wasn't in the material that Glassmen used - I just don't remember.

As I said in my post, the Glassmen previously played Old/New Moon in 2002. Maybe Regiment's ballad wasn't in the material that Glassmen used - I just don't remember.

Ah must've glossed over that!

it wasn't.

Glassmen used the one movement from the piece that phantom didn't use.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see them tap some more contemporary classical material.