Spirit of Atlanta

http://youtu.be/6yIjOPZCDSg

Former director of SOA.... JSU opener

Ken was Director of SOA (probably during their stint as Spirit of JSU)? I did not know that.

Ken was Director of SOA (probably during their stint as Spirit of JSU)? I did not know that.

In the early 2000's, may have been in 2000, I'd have to look, there was an attempt for a hostile take over for SoA...it was a well planned attack from a couple of individuals associated with a DCA corps who wanted to be DCI...alumni (a small group) blocked the attempt...this is a much longer story, but i'm giving you cliffs notes...at that point the corps created Friends of Spirit under which Spirit would now operate...Ken Bodiford (JSU Director), offered to take in Spirit, which is why it was then changed to Spirit of JSU or Spirit from JSU (can't recall)...after a couple of years and some stability was gained, the corps moved back to GA, and I think it was Spirit of, or from Peachtree City (??), then it was rebranded as just Spirit, until a few years back they were able to move back to Atlanta, and reclaimed the name Spirit of Atlanta.

Under its' new leadership (Jeff Nelson - CEO Lonestar Percussion & SoA and BD alum), he is assembling a board of business professionals & being an alum is not a requirement, and as it should be IMO.

The alumni have all pulled together, and are joining a movement called the Delta Group, and it is open to anyone, just ask Harvey, he joined earlier this week and is a Phantom fan. The model is a recurring tax write off monthly donation of $20. Strength in numbers!!

...for more information, and if you would like to support a corps heading into its' 40th year, visit www.soaaa.org and join the Delta Group. It takes 5 minutes. Your name will be added to the website, and you will be added to a private FB page that lists out long term investment strategies, monthly statements on bank accounts and an opportunity to have a say on where and what money is spent on...this is 100% transparent.

Additionally -

There is a CrowdFunding effort that recently launched:

http://igg.me/at/SpiritOfAtlantaDeltasUp/x/11942304

If you would click the link, and Like it, Share it, Tweet it, etc. the more of those that happen, the broader it is pushed out onto their platform. Anyone can at least do that right??? There is a really cool video that will replace the one currently on there, and that is coming soon, it is final edits now...

Bottom Line!! Help out a fellow corps...the activity needs Spirit of Atlanta!!!

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

In the early 2000's, may have been in 2000, I'd have to look, there was an attempt for a hostile take over for SoA...it was a well planned attack from a couple of individuals associated with a DCA corps who wanted to be DCI...alumni (a small group) blocked the attempt...this is a much longer story, but i'm giving you cliffs notes...at that point the corps created Friends of Spirit under which Spirit would now operate...Ken Bodiford (JSU Director), offered to take in Spirit, which is why it was then changed to Spirit of JSU or Spirit from JSU (can't recall)...after a couple of years and some stability was gained, the corps moved back to GA, and I think it was Spirit of, or from Peachtree City (??), then it was rebranded as just Spirit, until a few years back they were able to move back to Atlanta, and reclaimed the name Spirit of Atlanta.

Under its' new leadership (Jeff Nelson - CEO Lonestar Percussion & SoA and BD alum), he is assembling a board of business professionals & being an alum is not a requirement, and as it should be IMO.

The alumni have all pulled together, and are joining a movement called the Delta Group, and it is open to anyone, just ask Harvey, he joined earlier this week and is a Phantom fan. The model is a recurring tax write off monthly donation of $20. Strength in numbers!!

...for more information, and if you would like to support a corps heading into its' 40th year, visit www.soaaa.org and join the Delta Group. It takes 5 minutes. Your name will be added to the website, and you will be added to a private FB page that lists out long term investment strategies, monthly statements on bank accounts and an opportunity to have a say on where and what money is spent on...this is 100% transparent.

Additionally -

There is a CrowdFunding effort that recently launched:

http://igg.me/at/SpiritOfAtlantaDeltasUp/x/11942304

If you would click the link, and Like it, Share it, Tweet it, etc. the more of those that happen, the broader it is pushed out onto their platform. Anyone can at least do that right??? There is a really cool video that will replace the one currently on there, and that is coming soon, it is final edits now...

Bottom Line!! Help out a fellow corps...the activity needs Spirit of Atlanta!!!

Yep -- I know about the Delta Group (I have some SOA admin and alumni FB friends) and of course, I've joined (hasn't shown up on the website yet).

I hope others reading JKT90's post will choose to contribute -- either one time or monthly. Your support is GREATLY appreciated!

Spirit has had crap scores since the mid 80's why should it matter where they placed this year?

Wrong.

1985 91.000

1986 94.100

1987 87.600

1988 89.300

1989 82.200

1990 83.400

1991 82.350

1992 78.800

1993 77.900

1994 n/a

1995 72.100

1996 68.000

1997 76.500

1998 83.100

1999 76.900

I don't know what YOUR definition of crap score is, but Spirit has scored above 80 many MORE times than not. Their worst year seems to be 1996, and they seem to have had some down years sprinkled in the 90s. Hardly Mid 80s!

http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=26&corpstype=Junior

Edited by jjeffeory

Mid 80s included their highest score ever in 1986. GlassmanBtone surprises me. With 8180 posts you'd think he'd know more.

Yep -- I know about the Delta Group (I have some SOA admin and alumni FB friends) and of course, I've joined (hasn't shown up on the website yet).

I hope others reading JKT90's post will choose to contribute -- either one time or monthly. Your support is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks! And welcome to the Delta Group...Susan was traveling to ATL for the BoD meeting this weekend and was delayed in pushing out the latest update. I should have that today.

I also heard last night that there have been 1091 interest and audition forms for 2016 already turned in. SoA will be stronger and more relevant than ever...We could use your support!!

• Like 1

Spirit has had crap scores since the mid 80's why should it matter where they placed this year?

The scores vary from year to year, but the placements are a better measure of how good you are in comparison to your peers. 18th place this year was the lowest SOA has finished since '96. Add that to the reckless spending and you get a recipe for folding.

• Like 1

From Spirit's YouTube page.

Spirit's "Inside the Delta" series will feature behind the scenes stories about Spirit of Atlanta and Drum Corps history as told by members, staff, volunteers, fans and supporters of the activity.

Please help Spirit of Atlanta continue to enrich the lives of young people with a tax-deductible donation at www.soaaa.org.

https://youtu.be/PtWSuT1SWh8

• Like 2