Spirit of Atlanta

In 2013, Troopers followed up an 18th-place finish with "Magnificent 7," Battle Hymn, the sunburst. They went Full Roots Mode, and the members themselves had significant input into steering the corps in that direction. I think most people would agree: It worked -- as a show, and as a strategic decision.

The point: It can be done. It's not the music; it's what you do with the music. If the members are all-in, and the staff is all-in, and the design works, we fans may all be happily whistling Dixie after each SOA show.

I agree with what you say regarding Troopers in 2013, but I think the issues may be different. I can remember thinking Troopers in 2012 had a good show, but it was not the Troopers. After sitting near a few former Troopers in Allentown, I got the distinct impression that identity was a key issue and ink on DCP seemed to support this, so the 2013 having throwbacks to former shows was an excellent idea and gave the corps a much needed shot in the arm. I'm not sure identity is Spirit's issue. My guess is morale became an issue in 2014. To me, that show had more potential that it was given credit for, and some tweaks could have made all the difference, but when I saw them in Atlanta after seeing them in the Boston area in late June/early July, I was surprised at how much steam the show lost. 2015 had potential to place higher, but in my opinion lacked energy. So I don't think going retro will hurt them, if anything it is a safe bet, but what will make the difference is a passion you can feel, which for those of us who remember Spirit in its early days, is their classic trait.

• 2 weeks later...

SOA, Just a suggestion . . . get someone to rewrite this show description. As you work to move forward as a drum corps, all aspects of everything you do should have a level of detail and professionalism that represents who and what you want to be in the activity. The grammatical flaws and overall writing here, albeit brief, probably does not represent you at your best, even before putting one foot on the competitive field.

Official show announcement from SOA:
https://www.instagra.../p/BFzEhEMjHC4/

• Like 3

SOA, Just a suggestion . . . get someone to rewrite this show description. As you work to move forward as a drum corps, all aspects of everything you do should have a level of detail and professionalism that represents who and what you want to be in the activity. The grammatical flaws and overall writing here, albeit brief, probably does not represent you at your best, even before putting one foot on the competitive field.

Official show announcement from SOA:

https://www.instagra.../p/BFzEhEMjHC4/

I know it may seem like a little thing, but I agree with your post here. It all matters. As the 2014 and 2015 corps entered the field, just the way they held themselves (didn't hold themselves), the show write--ups for both years, etc., I knew it was not headed in the right direction. Image on and off the field.

Come on SOA.

I heard they had a late start, but July 8th is their first show?

O.o

Well if it keeps them afloat, then it's better than folding. Competitive advantage doesn't seem to be their focus this year.

Well if it keeps them afloat, then it's better than folding. Competitive advantage doesn't seem to be their focus this year.

I definitely don't disagree there. If it's what they need to do then by all means do it.

Just surprised me a bit when I was looking through corps schedules.

I definitely don't disagree there. If it's what they need to do then by all means do it.

Just surprised me a bit when I was looking through corps schedules.

I'm glad someone brought this up, because I noticed it as well and then just figured this was their normal routine and that I was the only one who'd never realized it.

They're the last corps out on tour by a full week; OC & Scades both have their first show on July 1, and then every other world class corps appears within the first week of shows.

BUT, the DCI website allows you to switch the tab to 2015, and it looks as if they didn't debut until mid-July last year (!!!!). No other option besides 2015. So, maybe some SOA alum or parents could shed some light on this? Is being among the last corps to hit the competitive road a standard move for SOA??

I'm glad someone brought this up, because I noticed it as well and then just figured this was their normal routine and that I was the only one who'd never realized it.

They're the last corps out on tour by a full week; OC & Scades both have their first show on July 1, and then every other world class corps appears within the first week of shows.

BUT, the DCI website allows you to switch the tab to 2015, and it looks as if they didn't debut until mid-July last year (!!!!). No other option besides 2015. So, maybe some SOA alum or parents could shed some light on this? Is being among the last corps to hit the competitive road a standard move for SOA??

They had 10 shows before July 8th last year. Edited by DrumManTx