Spirit of Atlanta

Sorry but he is right. This forum doesn't give a #### about those lowering placing corps in finals and creams the pants for the top 5. All season the talks were based on what the spreads are between the top with a few of us (mainly alums of the groups) talking about the bottom quarter of finals. Look at the finals thread and after scores you would only think 4 corps existed.

I concede the point, but it's really sad nonetheless.

Wow. You're a keeper. I actually really enjoy that show. Spirits 2011 - 2013 shows featured fun, easy to get themes, a fantastic hornline, and a great drumline and guard that made audiences go nuts. If that isn't success. I dunno what is.

Wonder how long this thread will last. Obviously there is something going on behind the scenes that isn't public yet. I don't think anyone is gonna come on here and discuss it.

That grouping of shows you mentioned were great. The problem area that seems to show up for Spirit (going back years) is visual/marching.

I say Spirit should do what Madison this past season in regards to laying down a show that screams Spirit of Atlanta. Go out in 2016 full bore no little hints or tastes of it but do a full out southern music show!

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 3

Here's a show idea...I know we just had a very popular hell themed show, but why not. "The Devil went Down to Georgia". Opener would be main title and pandemonium from "Something wicked this way comes", ballad would be "Salvation of course. And end with the title song. Now if they could find a guard character that could play the fiddle.

Here's a show idea...I know we just had a very popular hell themed show, but why not. "The Devil went Down to Georgia". Opener would be main title and pandemonium from "Something wicked this way comes", ballad would be "Salvation of course. And end with the title song. Now if they could find a guard character that could play the fiddle.

You probably know this -- they played "Devil Went Down to Georgia" in 1980 and 1981.

• Like 1

Phantom had a fiddle player in '09, but things didn't turn out too well for him. I hear his face is still red from all those slaps....

Yea, I know they played it, I go back that far. Just revisit it and give new life.

• Like 2

Sorry but he is right. This forum doesn't give a #### about those lowering placing corps in finals and creams the pants for the top 5. All season the talks were based on what the spreads are between the top with a few of us (mainly alums of the groups) talking about the bottom quarter of finals. Look at the finals thread and after scores you would only think 4 corps existed.

Yea, but nobody talks about the Cleveland Browns once the playoffs start (except Cleveland Browns fans). They talk about the playoff teams, and eventually the top four, two and winner. That's natural. It's not a slight towards the teams that didn't make the playoffs, it's just reality.

When you think of DCI finals as the playoffs, and the top 2 or so as the championship game, it makes a bit more sense. No, it's not a perfect analogy, but it's close enough.

• Like 1

Sorry but he is right. These users doesn't give a #### about those lowering placing corps in finals and creams the pants for the top 5. All season the talks were based on what the spreads are between the top with a few of us (mainly alums of the groups) talking about the bottom quarter of finals. Look at the finals thread and after scores you would only think 4 corps existed.

Users participate in topics that interest them. So...

1. Create interesting topics.

2. Make a first post that encourages a response.

3. PROFIT!

That grouping of shows you mentioned were great. The problem area that seems to show up for Spirit (going back years) is visual/marching.

I do not disagree, but it is my opinion that the "running around, jazz run everywhere" direction that drum corps has taken the past ten years has hurt DCI and its trademark sound. If anything Spirit has always prioritized its brass sound when bringing in caption heads and I don't discredit them for that because they have always had the best sound outside of finals. I will always give a corps a pass on marching if they can really play their instruments

Edited by GlassmenBtone
  • Like 1