If you won the lottery...

I'd pay the board to make sure G Bugles never return.

Even when DCI championships have been inside the past 7 years and will be probably for good, and you can't even hear the hornlines as intended anywhere outside of section 140?

Even when DCI championships have been inside the past 7 years and will be probably for good, and you can't even hear the hornlines as intended anywhere outside of section 140?

Yup. Can you imagine how awful the echo would be with G Bugles anyways? I don't really enjoy the sound of G Bugles. They're harsh, have a lot of edge, and have many intonation issues. Not my cup of tea. There have been hornlines in the past that seem to have done wonderfully with them, but they were the top corps. Me, I'd rather the G Bugles stay in the past.

If you suddenly won the lottery, or came into money somehow, let’s say $100 million for argument’s sake, what would you do for drum corps?

I’ve been thinking about this for a while. I would love to be able to do something huge for drum corps, which has given me such great pleasure in my own life. I do what I can now, but many of us are not millionaires. But what if you suddenly were?

I just thought I’d start a thread to allow DCPers to show how they would help drum corps, whether it’s helping a specific corps, starting some kind of organization, resurrecting a corps that has left us, or whatever. What would you do for drum corps if you won the lottery?

Personally, I would set up a foundation and give the overarching DCI organization a huge endowment so that they have the ability to create a long-sustainable business that ensures millions of fans get to hear drum corps for a long time, give each and every member organization an endowment of their own, and have a chat (and another big gift) with a number of specific corps that have given me so much joy over the years. Then I would go relax in my Italian villa for a few months before touring the country next summer, attending every possible show from June through Finals.

What would you do?

Also, please don’t criticize others’ choices. This is just a fun exercise to see how you would give if you had the option.

:ninja:

First of all, I'd personally make an effort to make sure the groups in my local area would have a sustainable financial base in order to thrive and grow.

Next, because of it's (perceived) glaring lack of risk-taking, make DCA and it's member groups "an offer they can't refuse".. by that meaning, offer to find a way to help the outfits that are NOT part of the 'home turf' of DCA afford to afford transportation costs to come out here to the "Cursed Earth" for a show or two - thereby having the legendary Eastern DCA corps (and our friends from the South) assist in what so many of the DCA fan base have always said was necessary - "Grow the Fan Base"!!!

I suppose I'd do the same for the NE corps as well - then they'd have no excuse to say "We can't afford it!"

After 30+ years of making the trek - I would think that the folks here would be able to promote a "big" show, thus putting the nails in the so-called coffin for those who's only vision of the Midwest is the Chicago area fiasco in like '89..

As I've said before - the last time there was a "big" All-Age show out here was the '75 Legion Nationals, which had a really good size crowd for being the same night as DCI that year.. and they only had 5 "senior" corps.

I'd also set up some sort of scholarship fund to encourage our local youth to consider staying closer to home, rather than spending a huge chunk of change to march with a politically influential group.. Helping to grow the activity just a little bit. Since DCI has already decided to extend their stay in Indy - that shoots the idea of having Championship Week come to the new stadium going up in my front yard (kinda-sorta).. Well, their loss.

After that, I'd start a family run restaurant and blow out some of the yuppified joints serving 12-15 dollar burgers and such.

I can only hope, gang! Otherwise, I'll just keep plugging along to do what I can to help the activity - and griping about idiots who think we need to be bands (more than we are already)

Pat :tounge2:

Edited by goalieguy

Yup. Can you imagine how awful the echo would be with G Bugles anyways? I don't really enjoy the sound of G Bugles. They're harsh, have a lot of edge, and have many intonation issues. Not my cup of tea. There have been hornlines in the past that seem to have done wonderfully with them, but they were the top corps. Me, I'd rather the G Bugles stay in the past.

Fair point. Come to think of it, I can't think of any groups other than the U.S Marine DBC and the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble that have performed on Gs inside Lucas Oil. Are there any?

If you suddenly won the lottery, or came into money somehow, let’s say $100 million for argument’s sake, what would you do for drum corps?

a 100 million ? Well, My pesky Uncle Sam would get half of it. I'd give 1 million dollars each to the the BD key staff to leave BD and go write and teach for Pioneer or similar Corps.The rest I'd give to my kids. I don't need the dough, and I'd give far more of it to my family and to my favorite charities that help the truly hungry, sick & the needy than give to anything connected to DCI beyond what I Just mentioned.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If I said two chicks at once, would you guys get the joke?

Yeah...you prefer double-yolk eggs.

• Like 1

I would sponsor a local drum corps show, and all the corps members would be my guests for the after-party on my yacht in the Bahamas. :cool:

+++

And now I can go out and buy a lottery ticket guilt-free, because after talking about it for entertainment, it's no longer gambling. :thumbs-up:

If I had unlimited funds, I'd think about building an outdoor stadium for drum corps use.

It would have a completely optimal seating schematic and fit a lot of people. Stands would be curved inwards toward the 50.

It would also have optimal acoustics. There would also be nothing backfield for sound to echo off of.

There would be a canopy over the stands and field in case of rain. It would be acoustically correct.

Heck, the place could be built into the side of a giant hill, like Crum Stadium, except a lot bigger, and there would be extra seating above the stands if you had wanted to sit on top of the hill above everything, although the sound might not be totally optimal, but who cares, it could fit a lot more people, and people who would rather sit on the grass and be closer to the 50.

The DCI logo would be in the middle of the field, not some horseshoe. The logos of all then-current corps would also be placed in the end-zones.

It would have concession stands that did not charge $3.50 for a bottle of water.

It would be built away from the city toward the country where there is open space, and there would be tons of parking. Not sure where I would build it, but it would probably be somewhere close to Indy. BOA can use the facility also, as well as anyone else who wants to rent it.

Oh, and don't forget electric hook-ups for people who wanna camp out, and for corps RVs and food truck generators.

I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll dream of this tonight.

• Like 1