The Cavaliers 2016

I don't believe I said anything about how I myself interpreted it, and if I was really your friend you wouldn't talk to me in such a condescending manner.

What I said was how other people have made it clear how they meant it to be interpreted. When numerous parties in the media, social media, etc. SAY they are advancing the juxtaposition for the purpose of demonstrating Trump's deficiencies then I don't believe it makes me partisan or paranoid to take them on their word.

I just want to first make it clear that I was not trying to be condescending. I truly find you to be one of the funniest guys on here and I admire your wit. This is just another example of things being interpreted the way people want to interpret it.

Can you explain who you are referring to when you say "numerous parties?" Are you referring to staff and members on the Cavaliers? Or just fans?

I just want to first make it clear that I was not trying to be condescending. I truly find you to be one of the funniest guys on here and I admire your wit. This is just another example of things being interpreted the way people want to interpret it.

Can you explain who you are referring to when you say "numerous parties?" Are you referring to staff and members on the Cavaliers? Or just fans?

Members of the media, everyday people who post on my wife's facebook page, political commentators both liberal and conservative. That is the backdrop that existed when I heard the show for the first time and, honestly, it's hard for me to imagine anyone seeing it as pro-trump.

Some may think it is a good thing but, in my opinion, the fact that some people may see the show as anti trump and others may see it as anti Hilary does not make it a deep or meaningful show. It just makes it divisive on a simplistic level with no redeeming value.

I liove the Cavies, and a show about propaganda might still work, but there is a wealth of history to pull from without resorting to references to current candidates that are empty at best and divisive at worst. The show would be better without them.

• Like 1

Members of the media, everyday people who post on my wife's facebook page, political commentators both liberal and conservative. That is the backdrop that existed when I heard the show for the first time and, honestly, it's hard for me to imagine anyone seeing it as pro-trump.

Some may think it is a good thing but, in my opinion, the fact that some people may see the show as anti trump and others may see it as anti Hilary does not make it a deep or meaningful show. It just makes it divisive on a simplistic level with no redeeming value.

I liove the Cavies, and a show about propaganda might still work, but there is a wealth of history to pull from without resorting to references to current candidates that are empty at best and divisive at worst. The show would be better without them.

Well, I don't blame them. Trump doesn't do much for himself to make him appear like a serious candidate. I can see how a lot of people will interpret it as anti-Trump simply because it's popular to call Trump things along the lines of "bigoted orange monkey" by the liberal media. He makes it easy for people to joke about him.

However, I do stand by my opinion that WITHOUT taking into account what OTHER people are saying about the show, - that is, taking it at face value - that the Cavies are presenting this juxtaposition in a neutral way, however many people are interpreting it as anti-Trump because it has become commonplace to make fun of him. In psychology this is referred to as recency bias.

I do agree with the statement I bolded though.

• Like 1

73.1 tonight. Holy crap!

Wow! Good on Cavies ... and Blue Stars .... and Troopers! Cavies have a very good show!

Awesome job for the score guys. Need to wait for the contest with Crown for spreads, but the guys are doing great.

• Like 1

I've known the word propaganda my entire life. Forms of persuasion were subliminal TV commercials, what to wear, what to eat, how to behave. Butter is better; but margarine is better; now butter is better. Long ago, I decided to march to a different drummer. Sadly, there are those that let propaganda make their decisions.

I watched a lot of live drum corps 1968-1983, took a hiatus for family matters until 2006, whereupon the world wide web helped me catch up to drum corps. A trip to Indy 2010 appeased my curiousity. Amongst the 2 dozen corps I saw, Cavaliers' 2010 program had a strong, perhaps controversial message and was performed well.

I hope the use of periods and commas in the above statements were appropriate and that this pacifist, tree hugging, gardening gramma is communicating clearly :smile:

Thanks for explaining they used it in a neutral way. I had previously been under the impression they juxtaposed it with Reagan's quote, as has already been done by a number of people with the unsubtle suggestion, if not the expressed purpose, of mocking Trump. I'm glad to hear they didn't do that.

I was at Whitewater and was shocked when I saw their performance. The people I was sitting with all thought it was mocking.

That's an interesting way to frame this debate. Fans can read into the juxtaposition what they wish.

I was at Dublin last night. There was a lot of laughter in the stands when people heard the Trump quote following the Reagan one. But the laughter was certainly not universal. I imagine that some of those who weren't laughing felt that they were being laughed at.

I definitely heard someone say after the show, "Well, I guess they're hoping the judges are Democrats."

Yep, same thing I thought. And, it wouldn't surprise me if that pushed Garfield Cadets over the Cavs. Political humor is only going to be funny to half the people in any given audience.

What I just bolded in your response is exactly what I'm saying. The fans CAN read into the juxtaposition however they wish. That's the point. The Cavies are being completely neutral in their presentation, the fans' job is to interpret it however they wish. If democrats want to interpret it as making fun of Trump, so be it. If conservatives want to interpret it as one great leader being compared to another great leader, so be it. If conservatives want to interpret as an attack on Trump, so be it.

However, it would be disingenuous for someone to say that the Cavies are taking sides.

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with you. Playing the Trump quote while waving Bernie & Hillary signs out on the field had an undertone to it.

Without the signs for two left leaning active candidates out on the field, perhaps I'd be more inclined to believe in its neutrality. Or maybe if they'd have had an audio quote from Hillary ("What difference does it make?" or Bill ("I did not have relations"). Or, maybe a few signs for Trump, Cruz, Reagan, Perot...

But, they didn't.

I'm admittedly old school, and politics don't belong out on the field. A month from now, I have to wonder if the signs disappear or not.

Edited by lanehog