8.22.15 ACTUAL Clifton unBiased review.

It's full of what if and could be

I read the inferences, and it was like...

"Every judge works the field differently". DUH. Some of the inferences and implications there are frightening, actually. Last I knew, people are different. Last I knew, this was a good thing.

"The more drill, the less likely the judge is to sample the battery." DUH, again. Who wants to get themselves or anyone injured...

I can go on.

<< snip >>

You hit on the big problem every design team has. There's this cliff to oblivion where the shows become too difficult to clean in the time allotted that if you're not careful, you go right over this cliff. It's a sheer drop, and it's an ugly thing to see happen. The problem is, if you don't get as close to the cliff as you can without getting sucked over the edge, you'll lose. The Bucs last year got about as close as one can get to that edge and not go over. Their ship was half over the edge and ready to go over until Finals when they righted it. In some ways I think they learned a lot from it. I have a guess that the lesson the Cabs learned was that they needed to take more of a risk and get even closer.

One corps that really gets this and comes up with things that are very thoughtful and sophisticated, but not asking their people to do the impossible and implode their organization are the Sabres.

This also brings up another good point here that people have discussed recently. I think fans understand that they're not going to see a finished product or a wonderfully polished one at Cabs at the Beach. But I think one of the things some (not all) people say now and then is that they'd like to still see something that's decent early on and not leaving them cringing at times. That's also an issue for a lot of crazy reasons that don't line up well with each other.

You put together too 'easy' a program, take the lead, don't add content and enhance the program... you stall out and get passed. (Westshore '82- been there and done just that!)

<< snipped some more >>

An EXCELLENT post ! While DCI and DCA are not in competition with each other, they have both different and similar challenges. Your point of "too difficult to clean" while still designing a show to challenge and entertain is the crux of the DCA dilemma. Design a show in the Fall, before filling the sections and without knowing the weather for rehearsal weekends and all other variables....... sounds impossible..... but so many DCA corps successfully do it ! Others march with blanks and incomplete drill moves......

And then the week after DCI they all of a sudden have 20 more horns.

which causes the score to go up. I think they shouldn't get as much of a bump due to that as we've seen in the past.

An EXCELLENT post ! While DCI and DCA are not in competition with each other, they have both different and similar challenges. Your point of "too difficult to clean" while still designing a show to challenge and entertain is the crux of the DCA dilemma. Design a show in the Fall, before filling the sections and without knowing the weather for rehearsal weekends and all other variables....... sounds impossible..... but so many DCA corps successfully do it ! Others march with blanks and incomplete drill moves......

How is it hogwash?

There were some things stated that were really obvious in the initial page. I guess someone had to spend the time to analyze and time study percussion judges so it could be quantified, but for Lord's sake....

It seems to me that part of it implied that every judge should be positioned in the same place at the same moments for each specific team. Perhaps there is no perfect or correct answer for that, and nor should there be. Also implied with that train of thought is that putting the adjudicator up in the box makes for more consistent reads from every adjudicator. Not necessarily so. Just the fact that each contest has a different position for the press box makes that an issue.

Does everyone want every adjudicator to score identically with every other every time out? Usually it's pretty consistent and close. the answer to that question would be, only if your team is winning consistently and big as a result of identical reads from different judges....

How is it hogwash?

because it's all about safety when in the grand scheme of things, safety is rarely an issue. Plus, the higher up you go, or in an enclosed stadium, the more you cannot hear over brass and electronics

There's no reason performance evaluators cannot be on the sidelines at least. You want to be able to check out individual sections for consistency no matter the caption.

Not to throw gas on the fire here, but if DCA is supposed to be all about entertainment then why not put the judges at the same vantage point as the people being entertained? We all know that a corps looks and sounds very different from field and stands perspectives. Performance clarity as it relates to the ensemble and overall product is best evaluated from the stands is it not?

No reason for anyone to be on the field or on the track.

Dan

Not to throw gas on the fire here, but if DCA is supposed to be all about entertainment then why not put the judges at the same vantage point as the people being entertained? We all know that a corps looks and sounds very different from field and stands perspectives. Performance clarity as it relates to the ensemble and overall product is best evaluated from the stands is it not?

No reason for anyone to be on the field or on the track.

Dan

There are no more field judges, the whole panel is in the box.

There's no reason performance evaluators cannot be on the sidelines at least. You want to be able to check out individual sections for consistency no matter the caption.

I understand that isolating individual proficiency is good on an analysis bases. But most if not all of those small technique issues would never make it up to the box anyway. So in the grand scheme of today's performances, how would it benefit a corps? It seems the best vantage point to view the overall product would be from the spectator's POV. At least that seems to make the most sense.

• Like 1