Cities that could sustain a new corps?

This is strictly asking for your thoughts and entertainment.

What cities, in regards to the tour routes, proximity to other corps HQ, and marching band activity, could be a good place to put a new corps?

(I'm thinking of the tour routes strictly for costs purposes and proximity meaning you're not fighting for members like in the northeast.)

Discuss.

I often think the city of Baltimore could be a good startup, but i also think the northeast market is a little saturated with jr and sr corps already within a few hours drive. But because of the nature of the city, there could be development money available for youth programs. hmmmm...

what about the midwest? what about cities in Kentucky again, or Virginia... or name a place and tell us your thoughts.

I often think the city of Baltimore could be a good startup......because of the nature of the city, there could be development money available for youth programs.

Baltimore was home to a number of junior corps the past 30 years that were affiliated with city housing projects and charitable organizations.

what could actually support a group today? Oklahoma city? St Louis or Kansas City? Lexington again, or is that too close to Toledo? Jacksonville?

It would be smart to put another corps into texas. There's so much space and many band programs.

Indianapolis

Washington DC

Baltimore

Granted any city could support depending on focus and strategy.

DC has too many things it wants to support, and its tapped for arts money. Even the no profit theatre and dance groups are now on step down grants or relocated out to Virginia in attempt to find arts money. To be honest, i'm not sure how Thunder Brigade finds affordable space in the area. It costs a small fortune to get rehearsal space there.

• 2 weeks later...

Marion, Ohio. The local community came out in droves this summer when the Madison Scouts spent a day at *new* Harding High School prior to the Centerville show. There was even a well written article in the local paper (also published online) about the number of Marion Cadet Alumni who stopped by, and interviews with band parents who wished an activity like drum corps was available in their community.

Digging through DCP, it appears that the Marion Cadets undid themselves through apparent greed and mismanagement. It also seems a lot of folks may have been turned off by the overly aggressive tour they staged in 2004. An Open Class group shouldn't be touring as extensive as they did, especially if finances are just not there. The Cadets never recovered from that season, couldn't recruit new members, and finally were liquidated by the bank. The Cadet Hall is an MMA training gym now.

If Marion were to host a drum corps again, I think people would be leery of restarting the Cadets. Perhaps a whole new group would be a fresh start. Same in Columbus with the Columbus Saints. The Saints are experiencing growth but many staff members have been asked various times (it was asked here too) if the Saints were a reboot of Limited Edition/Capitol Regiment.

Honestly, I don't think its a matter of the size of the city, its finding financing, recruiting, organizational stability, and the willingness to put the work into making it happen. So many said to me that where we located (in Inverness, FloridaHeat Wave Of Florida), it couldn't be done, but we did it. Now, its a matter of growth, organizational stability, and financing (as I said before).

At one time, there were over 240 corps in the state of New Jersey alone. This isn't a guess, its a fact, and many were small corps. Heck, Florida could easily sustain 3 or 4 DCI Corps, it just takes time, and hard work. There is growth happening across the country, it just takes solid planning & hard work.

Edited by BennyBassDrum