DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

DCA Championships 2015 was 35 corps in all classes

13 Open

7 Class A

7 Alumni

8 Mini Corps

There were 2,300 marching member participants, a holiday weekend, a tradiitional venue, and a slate of finalists whose performance quality was certainly worthy of the price of admission.

However, there seemed to be an understated invitation to this years' event and that was reflected in the turnout.

Front side capacity is 4,032 and various reports had it a little over half full. That seems like a missed opportunity for both DCA and the serious and casual fans of drum corps that missed out on some good, live, Championship pageantry.

Lets brainstorm a few fixes that can freshen up the offer and the offering.

I'll start with expanding the social media presence and hype, starting with the recruiting of a college student in need of volunteer hours or internship hours or just a solid resume item to revamp the DCACorps.og website. It needs immediate improvement and the expertise undoubtedly exists in the dca-college student community.

Next?

• Like 2

we had many locals check us out at our rehearsal site wondering what was going on,..........which IMO a hugely underutilized outreach opportunity that host communities could/should capitalize on,............however, it is rather unlikely that Joe lunch bucket, non drum corps fan, from up main street would attend the championships simply because of the ticket price,......................

and, while many take advantage of the live feed at home,.................it will be a continued detriment to boosting the effort of getting butts in seats,...............

we had more parents arrive prelims day than I had expected and purchased their tickets at the window,............a couple mentioned no need to purchase in advance, as earlier in the week there we tons of great seats still available when checking the website,............fortunately for then, Erie is only 2 1/2 hours from Rochester

Seems to me that the first year at this facility attendance numbers were double what they were this past weekend,...............

I know I am not offering much in the way of solutions, but someti8mes fact finding leads to them,........

I'm not sure how accurate the half-full statement is for Finals. My corps, the Skyliners, did not qualify for finals. We were able to attend, and the tickets the corps was in was at the goal line or slightly outside of it in the upper level. Most, if not all seats, inside of ours were filled. So at the very least, the upper level seemed pretty full.

I know there are less seats in the lower level, but I'd gather they were pretty full out to the 10 yard line.

I have seen bigger crowds there before, as in 2006 for the first year, but I thought there were more people there this year than what attended last year for sure.

R O C H E S T E R

• Like 2

DCA can keep championship weekend in Rochester, get a good bang for the buck AND continue to watch attendance drop. (IMO) We never get to see true attendance figures from year to year so it's always a guess-stimate.

I'll start with expanding the social media presence and hype, starting with the recruiting of a college student in need of volunteer hours or internship hours or just a solid resume item to revamp the DCACorps.og website. It needs immediate improvement and the expertise undoubtedly exists in the dca-college student community.

Next?

This.

The redesign has a lot of nice elements and there seems to be a pretty good graphics person involved, but there's other stuff that isn't working. Needs more updated content. Also, past recaps are all dead links (at least on every browser I've used). I've reached out to the listed contact, but no response.

A lot of good can come from a solid internship program.

God bless Jack Benny and R O C H E S T E R!!!!

220px-Eddie_anderson_1947.JPG

R O C H E S T E R

• Like 2

This.

The redesign has a lot of nice elements and there seems to be a pretty good graphics person involved, but there's other stuff that isn't working. Needs more updated content. Also, past recaps are all dead links (at least on every browser I've used). I've reached out to the listed contact, but no response.

A lot of good can come from a solid internship program.

Anyone else try to find out which Alumni corps would perform by using dcacorps.org?

Found last weeks shows still scheduled but no info.....

Minor point when trying to reach out but not a good sign even if this is a non-paid group....