DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

I'd like to see ticket sale numbers for prelims, finals, and alumni spectacular (not including those given to corps to watch) from the last ten years. I think that can tell you a lot about the fanbase and its direction. It can tell you if Rochester (while cheap) may be a good idea or a bad idea, or wherever else may have been better.

I'd also like to see the sales for fan network for the years its been in existence. I think there needs to be some sort of correlation made between people who used to show up, versus those who stayed home for the broadcast.

As for the website, if you click on "news and videos" you get the scores page. If no one is writing news or uploading videos, then someone needs to fix that. There's really not much to market on that site. I understand this may be a volunteer organization, but there needs to be more happening if they want to survive ten more years.

Why not give Allentown a try? It is already established as a drum corps hotbed. It has an established following from DCI, a host corps in both DCI and DCA, and Cabs, Cadets, and Bucs fans might make the MUCH shorter ride......

Why not add some DCA exhibition corps to the DCI East 2-day at Allentown to perk up the interest.....and SELL TICKETS at DCI EAST for DCA weekend !

• Like 1

The problem with Allentown is that it is Fair weekend..................no room for DCA

OK, so any chance of the week before Labor Day, with finals beginning at 1pm?

Let's keep all ideas flowing........ something might hit..... perhaps even Philadelphia (DCA been there before) or Scranton?????

Let's keep all ideas flowing........ something might hit..... perhaps even Philadelphia (DCA been there before) or Scranton?????

There is next to no chance DCA moves championships off of Labor Day weekend.

Why not give Allentown a try? It is already established as a drum corps hotbed. It has an established following from DCI, a host corps in both DCI and DCA, and Cabs, Cadets, and Bucs fans might make the MUCH shorter ride......

Why not add some DCA exhibition corps to the DCI East 2-day at Allentown to perk up the interest.....and SELL TICKETS at DCI EAST for DCA weekend !

:ninja:

I've always liked J. Birney Crum - but logistically - that fair takes up too many hotel rooms, fills virtually all the parking spaces - and is not easy to navigate as other places DCA has been to since I starting going out with MBI in the late 70's.

In regards to the 'shorter' ride - not for a bunch of us. That's a sticking point that mirrors the continued residence in Rochester. As many fans over the last few years have indicated - Rochester isn't attractive anymore.. "We can't afford it", "There's nothing to do or see there after the show" "It's too far"

Love your heart Joe - but unless the other Regions can build a fan base enough to warrant getting the member corps to do some serious fundraising to offset the cost of going without jacking the members pockets - fans and corps alike will likely NOT spend money to go somewhere outside of the NE or that area.

To be honest - we've been at this for so long- it's just a matter of planning and saving enough to make the trip, and to enjoy the time together with ALL of our DCA Family..

If plane fares get to be rediculous - I'd drive - BUT I'm not getting any younger or better suited for those 25 hour road trips, dude..

Edited by goalieguy

Rochester is the 2016 venue. That is the nearest and most available opportunity. Indianapolis had 25000 fans...serious, casual, bando, parent, alumni....a big mix there, obviously. Can DCA draw 4000 for their event? DCI has a chanel to the Bb, high school / collegiate musician and aspiring musician crowd. The tickets are about double the price, as is the perceived value...it is considered a major league event and commands a major league following.

DCA, given the performances by the FInalists, is reasonably considered a major league event, especially at the given ticket price.

Let's keep the focus on 2016 for the purpose of this conversation. jc

we had many locals check us out at our rehearsal site wondering what was going on,..........which IMO a hugely underutilized outreach opportunity that host communities could/should capitalize on,............however, it is rather unlikely that Joe lunch bucket, non drum corps fan, from up main street would attend the championships simply because of the ticket price,......................

and, while many take advantage of the live feed at home,.................it will be a continued detriment to boosting the effort of getting butts in seats,...............

we had more parents arrive prelims day than I had expected and purchased their tickets at the window,............a couple mentioned no need to purchase in advance, as earlier in the week there we tons of great seats still available when checking the website,............fortunately for then, Erie is only 2 1/2 hours from Rochester

Seems to me that the first year at this facility attendance numbers were double what they were this past weekend,...............

I know I am not offering much in the way of solutions, but someti8mes fact finding leads to them,........

the fan network can be a double edged sword. yes people who do not want to attend or can't attend hurts attendance...

but those who watch and pay for a full weekend at a cost of 70% of what a full season DCI subscription cost puts money in DCA's hands from people that wouldn't be going regardless.

The lack of a local corps up there with a known presence ( no offense White Sabers, but I'm not sure you're known in the market like Cru or Empire was) hurts. waiting til finals to run any media hurts and ticket prices probably don't help.

and yes, submit a bid etc, but location, location, location.....I'm not dragging a 3 year old up there, nor am I dumping her off on grandparents. probably won't be there the next two years either. So while DCA loses my seat purchase, they got $70 for me to watch everything online. better than nothing, which is what they'll most likely get if there's no fan network until 2019 if it moves.

one they have to submit a bid.

two the fair is in town, which kills hotel availability.

three schools are in, which hurts rehearsal facilities

the old Scranton stadium has been remodeled to look like a real baseball field, not Veterans Stadium junior. given the facility at the HS stadium, I'm not sure you'd want finals there.