DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

Guardling thank you for the kind words.

I don't know if we are the norm, but if more people would give it a shot, maybe we would be just another youth corps out of a few dozen or more. I would LOVE to be able to say that. I don't want us to be the only one, or just one of a struggling handful. That's why I preach it every once in a while - in the hope that someone else will put together a plan and give it a shot.

Part of Scout House Alumni's motivation for going ahead with the Cadets was the realization that without a new generation buying in to this activity, the wheels will come off soon. We encourage our members to march with the Alumni someday, because in a time when most alumni corps accept members who never marched in the original corps, the Cadets will be alumni in the truest sense - they are already sold on the Scout House organization. I am eternally grateful to the Alumni board that they had the foresight to invest in the future in this way. Beside the moral support they give the Cadets every time we perform, they look at our kids and know there's a pool of 35 potential future members of the alumni staring them in the face. Has to be a good feeling.

Guardling thank you for the kind words.

I don't know if we are the norm, but if more people would give it a shot, maybe we would be just another youth corps out of a few dozen or more. I would LOVE to be able to say that. I don't want us to be the only one, or just one of a struggling handful. That's why I preach it every once in a while - in the hope that someone else will put together a plan and give it a shot.

Part of Scout House Alumni's motivation for going ahead with the Cadets was the realization that without a new generation buying in to this activity, the wheels will come off soon. We encourage our members to march with the Alumni someday, because in a time when most alumni corps accept members who never marched in the original corps, the Cadets will be alumni in the truest sense - they are already sold on the Scout House organization. I am eternally grateful to the Alumni board that they had the foresight to invest in the future in this way. Beside the moral support they give the Cadets every time we perform, they look at our kids and know there's a pool of 35 potential future members of the alumni staring them in the face. Has to be a good feeling.

Well all the best. AS i said, and probable we are talking 2 very different things. I have seen and bailed out alot. I also have started many winter programs. it's no joke, that's for sure. worth it? well sometimes, many times, I say yes sometimes not so much. Its a very hard thing at times. Could also be what one wants or to be. I have had WGI medalists in the very 1st year of a guard. That alone is an expensive as well as daunting task. You might be having more fun..lol

alpsman, DCA offered 4 bands, free tickets to the 2015 preliminary show, the only band to show was the band from the farthest away. Go figure, I don't think there are many solutions to the attendance problem other than opening the front gate to any and all who want to attend for free. And you know what, I don't think that there would be any more people then! AND there would still be complaints about something. Sadly OUR brand seems to be fading and that is a shame.

• Like 1

I've looked. heres the issue:

I've done research. i've looked into agreements for equipment and stuff, and talked to other directors of corps sound and not sound.

my former corps burned a zillion bridges around here. I'm pretty sure there's bills still out there waiting to be paid. Plus, I've seen first hand things i'd never do to my members like making them drive home at 2 am from a show for a rehearsal the next day. No bus company around here would take my call thanks to past actions.

to do it, and do it right, serious $$ would be needed up front. I don't have the luxury of owning a post, or having a continuous legacy in the area like a Bucs Cabs or MBI has. Because otherwise, business plan or not, one incident could #### me personally.....and i'm not letting that happen

Which seems to translate into this: I'm done.

I'm not going to personally risk anything to promote All-Age Corps. It's over. I've done my time.

I'm going to be an armchair critic from now on.

Edited by Ron H

Some people have hit on this indirectly, Jeff- These teams would have to be very self sufficient- extremely so. I'd think they get no money for showing up. I'd think they'd have to actually pay some very reasonable fee to help defray the judges' costs for the day. I and E does this. Say I'd want to come to an I and E contest at a DCA show as a soloist- and I certainly would love to do this for the sheer fun of it--(If I won... God help us all !!!) I personally would have no problem ponying up 15 to 20 to help cover that expense- or, maybe if... just thinking here out loud.... Maybe if you buy a ticket to the contest you get half off your I and E fee? Just an idea, but I would understand if I had to pony up. Judges ain't cheap.

The last thing you'd want to do is suck money out of the Open and A corps for this. That I am wholeheartedly in agreement with. I envision this to be like Autocross events are in terms of amateur motorsports. You gotta bring your car, your helmet, pay an entry fee, maybe get a little trophy and an attaboy, maybe a dash plaque... but you gotta pay your way there. Maybe you're good at it and have a little sponsorship in terms of some car parts or a little cash- I thought of trying to get that from Rahal back in '88 when I did this seriously with my Honda, but you run what you can afford to run. I used to show up with my car all over Eastern PA and State College, helmet, magnetic numbers, etc..... and compete and get my axx handed to me by guys trailering in their stock vehicles, some at the serious pro/regional/national level. But I enjoyed it. Should try and scan a pic of me at Pocono hauling my CRX around the track some time. Don't get within a foot of the wall there. I was very careful NOT to. I had to drive the car to work that week. :satisfied:

But yes- it would be very grassroots, find the money, pay your own way, find the way to do this out of your own pockets or sponsors and not expect money from DCA, keep it simple.

to be honest, and at the risk of offending many...

if it were part of the show, i'd tailgate. I've been to I&e's, both DCA and DCI, and mini corps. I got tired of it. Some behavior of people involved didn't help. I'd honestly rather and sit and watch last place at prelims, and usually do

Which seems to translate into this: I'm done.

I'm not going to personally risk anything to promote All-Age Corps. It's over. I've done my time.

I'm going to be an armchair critic from now on.

kinda:

it says I am not ####### my financial future and happy home life on a gamble without the resources available thT I feel are required to do it right.

I was once part of a group that rehearsed Friday night, drove to north jersey, rehearsed, did a show, then drove down to central jersey late at night for a rehearsaland a show.

and there were 16 year olds doing the same thing. I'd never allow that. But I'd need the cash to make it not happen.

I was part of a corps that stiffed people left and right and saw equipment repo'd right after finals.That found a legion willing to sponsor us, only to see admin bail on the one thing they asked us to do...that morning.

i saw one member pay out of their own pocket to get the corps home because the bus check bounced and the busses were locked....from florida. and that member never got anything close to what the corps owed them.

I rode school busses two weeks in a row, 5, 6 hours one way because checks to bus companies bounced.

so if I'm to do it, I want to have finances in place before rehearsal one. hell, before staff is hired.

does that make me a quitter? maybe to you. To me it makes me a smart business person not willing to harm my family's financial well being

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I have regularly heard from people I talk to in the stands at DCI shows that they were attending because they saw the show publicized in local media.

DCA has made some efforts in this regard. They sold tickets via Groupon at Annapolis; I remember seeing the line for that option, and it was pretty long.

I found the DCI show in Glens Fall's, NY because of, TV Ad's on our Local TV out of Albany, NY. Went every year I lived their (in Glens Falls area) about 5 years.)

drum corps is a group activity,............no one person should be saddled with all the financial responcibility,..............none of it happens overnight,..................................have a team, start small, have a plan,...........................carry on.

You're spot on. However... it is in my opinion that DCA's "every corps/show for itself" is going to be the downfall of the organization. DCI pulls all of the directors together to promote the activity. When a potential member doesn't cut it in one corps, that corps calls another and says "hey check this kid out". Shows get more email blasts and attention. I bought tickets to one YEA show and i get a reminder to buy tickets for EVERY event sponsored by YEA, or that a YEA group is performing in near me. So it means the groups and shows need marketing people. Get that ticket buyer info, keep it in your excel files, and sell sell sell sell sell sell... not just the shows. But the corps. sell. It feels like there is very little collaboration on any of this between corps, DCA, and promoters.

• Like 1

drum corps is a group activity,............no one person should be saddled with all the financial responcibility,..............none of it happens overnight,..................................have a team, start small, have a plan,...........................carry on.

True, Gary. Was discussing some things at work, with some luck, we might have something in place that might be interesting, and designed to be sustainable, though it may take some time to put pieces together. The conclusion is if the Harrisburg City Schools can't do it and get the job done, and they've been failing at it-- there are various in city organizations that just might do something with instrumental music. indoor percussion, guard, and winds.