Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

After a great deal of reflection - I have to say...

We had a show this past summer that will define and influence shows for at least a decade to come

The design was like a Drum Corps Mona Lisa. The more you stare at it - the better it gets

I honestly believe it was severely underscored in GE by the DCI judging community

And as evidence I offer an indoor run of the 2015 Bluecoats just prior to finals night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtuAyiPI98

An amazing and layered program, fresh and creative in so many ways

So well done and original - Bravo!

George.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

I don't know about that, we might have to wait 20 years. :p

However, most refreshing show since I have started following DCI. Can't remember who said it on here, but it's probably my favorite comment about it. Something like "Bluecoats are filling a void that I didn't even know existed in their show style." I love it.

After a great deal of reflection - I have to say...

We had a show this past summer that will define and influence shows for at least a decade to come

The design was like a Drum Corps Mona Lisa. The more you stare at it - the better it gets

I honestly believe it was severely underscored in GE by the DCI judging community

And as evidence I offer an indoor run of the 2015 Bluecoats just prior to finals night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtuAyiPI98

An amazing and layered program, fresh and creative in so many ways

So well done and original - Bravo!

George.

It's not hated enough to be loved in 20 years.

• Like 9

It's not hated enough to be loved in 20 years.

it's also wasn't loved enough to be hated in 20 years, lol

Certainly, it's a more "approachable" product than Star 93 was - but as you suggest, we won't know for years and years how influential it ends up being over time

I just have my suspicions :)

I don't know about that, we might have to wait 20 years. :p

However, most refreshing show since I have started following DCI. Can't remember who said it on here, but it's probably my favorite comment about it. Something like "Bluecoats are filling a void that I didn't even know existed in their show style." I love it.

Agreed. And AGREED!!!

Certainly, it's a more "approachable" product than Star 93 was - but as you suggest, we won't know for years and years how influential it ends up being over time

This is true, however I would agree with you in a sense about how innovative Bluecoats 2014 & 2015 are as far as electronic + music sound design and how seamless designers weaved acoustic & electronic. Right now, at least to me, Bluecoats the last few seasons seems just as revolutionary and innovative as Star 1993's stark color pallet & music arranging plus all of the body sculpting seemed in 1993.

More than almost any corps (with the exceptions of Crown and Blue Devils), I'm more interested to see where Bluecoats go next couple of years design-wise, and they feel more innovative & fresh design-wise than nearly every other DCI corps. It's exciting that they have the talent as well: the last couple of years it seems like almost every one is trying to catch Bluecoats. I'm not sure what they would have to do to seriously contend for a Championship: it looks like score-wise perhaps their brass section was deficient relative to Crown, Blue Devils and Crown

• Like 2

This is true, however I would agree with you in a sense about how innovative Bluecoats 2014 & 2015 are as far as electronic + music sound design and how seamless designers weaved acoustic & electronic. Right now, at least to me, Bluecoats the last few seasons seems just as revolutionary and innovative as Star 1993's stark color pallet & music arranging plus all of the body sculpting seemed in 1993.

More than almost any corps (with the exceptions of Crown and Blue Devils), I'm more interested to see where Bluecoats go next couple of years design-wise, and they feel more innovative & fresh design-wise than nearly every other DCI corps. It's exciting that they have the talent as well: the last couple of years it seems like almost every one is trying to catch Bluecoats. I'm not sure what they would have to do to seriously contend for a Championship: it looks like score-wise perhaps their brass section was deficient relative to Crown, Blue Devils and Crown

If i were king of the forest ($1 to Burt Lahr), I would move into more modern costuming of the corps proper so they look as innovative as they sound.

• Like 1

I didn't like Star 93 and didn't care for the Bluecoats electronics overuse this year either.

I didn't like Star 93 and didn't care for the Bluecoats electronics overuse this year either.

In other words, the OP is correct!

• Like 7