If It Were Like it Used To Be?

"Drum Corps Died in 72":

I still have the T shirt.

Remember it?

The Cavalier clown dancing on the tombstone?

Elphaba

No.....Drum corps "died" in 1971. It was because of the Madison Scouts and Cavaliers shows of 1971.

The drum corps periodicals were full of merchandise in the fall of 1971.

Here's a link from right here on DCP:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/139731-drum-corps-died-1971/

Edited by Northern Thunder

"The Marching Dead?":

As "Bad' as those old VFW and Legion organizations were said to have been, please remember: that's where the activity STARTED. As someone who grew up with Legion and VFW championships at the State and National levels, (1958-1966) we were very lucky to have those titles to shoot for.

It seems to be in vogue to badmouth those old Veterans organizations, but please be advised: That's WHERE the DRUM CORPS activity came from.

Elphaba

its not that those places were bad it was the crazy rules for competition and the hold on drum corps at the time. The old legion championships were great and YES it's how all this stated BUT it did get to a point where it didnt serve the activity well at all. JMO

I do remember the t shirt though....lol

Edited by GUARDLING

lol...and why when you think about it...lol

and that's one of many rules that were a bit crazy. even for those days

... crazy with that little bit of lint floating in the air on a breezy day, landing on the black or blue pants as witnessed by a seasoned DM, yikes, penalty! I spent more time cleaning lint and keeping judges away from my drumline than conducting the horn line even though I was their guard instructor good golly.

I was also in reserve communications and polished my boots, ironed my uniform every morning before daily inspection, as a summer job to pay for drum corps. They said I marched well. I saluted as I did as DM. After that, winter guard was my happy place, my escape of learning too much too soon.

"Drum Corps died in 1971!!!!!!"

I stand corrected.

My crystal ball needs some new batteries,.............. :shutup:

Elphaba

So maybe we should blame the Veteran organizations for failing to improve the judging system and NOT DCI!