Another New Corps From The Midwest--Shadow

Shadow Armada, a marching band/SoundSport competitor from Oregon, Wisconsin, is apparently going to become an open class drum & bugle corps in 2016, and will change its name to Shadow. There was a posting about it yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/3ld7kr/new_corps_shadow_drum_and_bugle_corps_superthread/

Edited by Northern Thunder

• 2 weeks later...

SO glad to see the name changed to just Shadow. Having an organization with the initials SA is probably not the best idea. May not be that big of a deal in the Midwest but you start saying those initials on the West Coast and some other places and you could get yourself into some hot water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2015 at 9:22 AM, Cathie Wiener said:

SO glad to see the name changed to just Shadow. Having an organization with the initials SA is probably not the best idea. May not be that big of a deal in the Midwest but you start saying those initials on the West Coast and some other places and you could get yourself into some hot water.

How is Shadow coming along? I'm in Wisconsin and I'm looking to join a friendly group if anyone knows of any. Preferably for beginners as I've only been playing for a year and a half.

Edited by BrickTown

• 3 weeks later...

How is Shadow coming along? I'm in Wisconsin and I'm looking to join a friendly group if anyone knows of any. Preferably for beginners as I've only been playing for a year and a half.

My son attended the informational/first rehearsal and I was quite surprised to see the amount of organization that this corps is bringing to the field. They have the fortune of an entire community behind them including the board of education. This is a direct replacement to their summer marching band as the summer circuit is not what it used to be in the 80's. The band participation in the Summer WIAA band tour has dwindled from 80 or so bands to a small handful. Shadow Armada (this units band name) was extremely successful in this arena and the entire community see's this program as a net positive an supports them completely. They have a Booster Club that has been in place for decades, so a smooth transition there, a school system that stands firm behind the marching arts, a winter guard and drum line that is very competitive. I have been around drum corps for almost 40 years and never once have I seen a first rehearsal so well attended and fully staffed. At least 70% of the staff is returning band alumni who went on to march with top 12 corps, Madison, Phantom, Santa Clara, Bluestars ect... I'm coming from the Milwaukee area, and planning on making this happen for him. I highly suggest you come to their next practice and find out. They are going to have a fantastic first year.

My son attended the informational/first rehearsal and I was quite surprised to see the amount of organization that this corps is bringing to the field. They have the fortune of an entire community behind them including the board of education. This is a direct replacement to their summer marching band as the summer circuit is not what it used to be in the 80's. The band participation in the Summer WIAA band tour has dwindled from 80 or so bands to a small handful. Shadow Armada (this units band name) was extremely successful in this arena and the entire community see's this program as a net positive an supports them completely. They have a Booster Club that has been in place for decades, so a smooth transition there, a school system that stands firm behind the marching arts, a winter guard and drum line that is very competitive. I have been around drum corps for almost 40 years and never once have I seen a first rehearsal so well attended and fully staffed. At least 70% of the staff is returning band alumni who went on to march with top 12 corps, Madison, Phantom, Santa Clara, Bluestars ect... I'm coming from the Milwaukee area, and planning on making this happen for him. I highly suggest you come to their next practice and find out. They are going to have a fantastic first year.

Nick Lane (and his team) have done a wonderful job at Oregon through the last several years, I'm proud to call him a friend, along with others on his staff. Nick is an alumnus of Pioneer and the Kilties.

I think there may be a historical error in the above red highlighted area....if recall correctly WIAA is (and always has been) solely an athletic association and not marching bands, whereas MACBDA is the summer marching band program that maybe should had been referenced. MACBDA historically rarely ever averaged over 12 bands per season and still is a very vibrant association.