Brief moments...not shows...that stick out in your mind.

There's another thread going on right now in which DCP contributors are relating "shows" which they initially didn't take to...but over time, came to appreciate and enjoy. There are threads which ask for one's "favorite show." We've often been collectively asked "What do you consider the best (or top two, or top three) shows of all time. But as one who almost micro-manages shows, and their various components -- I'm searching for discussion regarding one's top five moments they've experienced within shows. Those "ahhhhhhh" or "holy crap" moments (sort of like that very first time you laid eyes on your future spouse, if you were so fortunate) that sometimes make you forget the entire rest of the show based on the indelible emotional or pleasing feeling that left you walking away from the venue (or, in this age of advanced technology, your video screen) shaking your head in amazement. Hey...it's the off-season, after all.... And for you more...um...long-range experienced members (such a NICE way of putting it, don' you think?)...feel free to separate them on a top-5 Old-School and New-School basis.

(And no, the ultimately superb sausage, pepper, and onion sandwich which you experienced during INT's '92 performance isn't exactly what I'm looking for. But if it's the case, well, knock yourself out...) :colgate:

Edited by HornTeacher

Not a complete list, but...

1. Suncoast Sound, 1984, the balloons released at the wall. The single balloon from the field and then all the balloons from the stands... that still gives me chills.

2. The turn backfield, the fade out of the sops, then the drumline crescendo to THAT low brass downbeat in Maleguena, Madison 1988. At that point, you knew, "$h!t just got REAL!!!!"

3. Spirit of Atlanta, 1980, the hornline turns to the stands after the gun goes off... I cannot watch or listen to that without crying.

• Like 1

1988 Madison Scouts, watching on PBS, when the whole corps turned playing Maleguena near the end. The built up tension sucked me into drum corps forever.

2008 Phantom Regiment when I saw them in Allentown, the whole show had changed into something wonderful. From the slaves entering at the beginning, to the herald trumpets, to the drum major getting killed at the end. blew my mind!

2008 Phantom Regiment at Finals in Bloomington, when they won outright. Hearing the crowd go crazy, watching the corps down on the field, so amazing.

2006 Finals in Madison. My first Finals ever, after having been away from the activity for several years. I loved every minute, with the Cavaliers awesome show, Regiment made me cry tears of joy, and the Bluecoats and Crown's underrated shows.

1991 Star of Indiana at the Preview of Champions in Madison, WI. I had been following drum corps for a couple years, but nothing prepared me for these amazing moments! The two main things that stand out to me even now are the guards' use of simple spinning mirrors to create a strobe effect, and the final resolve into a cross. I don't believe they had implemented the cross to cross final set yet, as it was a couple weeks before Finals. Even so, I knew I had seen that year's champion.

I know that's five, but honorable mention goes to 3 moments from 2014, and they were all Bluecoats: the pitchbend, the final jump off the ramp at the end, and witnessing Blooo earn the silver medal for the first time!

As a spectator:

The release at the end of Cadets 1998 ballad "Canterbury Chorale". It rang out in the stadium.

The end of Cadets 1997 opener.

Crown's entire 2012 show.

That huge hit at the end of the opener in Phantom's 2007 show. My ears were bleeding it was so loud.

As a marcher:

The 4-count turn around in the beginning of Clocks in our 2000 show (watching all the cameras flash and the crowd go nuts).

The last few sets after the company front hearing the crowd go apesh$t.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm.....in no particular order

The beginning of BK's Avian show as the hornline 'flew' around the field like a flock of birds

Cadets "Moondance" was my single favorite number of the year

27th Lancers "Danny Boy" center wheel

As a marching member when we hit the stands the first year we did the Peace Sign to "White Rabbit" in 1970 at VFW Nats in Miami with all of the flashes.and cheers (esp after being told we did not belong at the show for making a Peace Sign).

2011 Regiment's "Elsa's Procession"

Just a few

I was in some cafe with my laptop in 2009 when I first saw what Crown was doing with Puck One on the Fan Network. I thought about that moment all summer long. After the standing O it brought during finals I remember my disappointment realizing I'd never get to see it live again.

• Like 1

This year when Caballeros ripped my face off at the end of the show.
The Latin section in Crown's 2010 show
Crown 2005.
Bucs faux company front this year (I got so frustrated I nearly threw a tantrum :tounge2:)
My finals run this year.

The vocalist at the beginning of Crossmen's show in 2015

The groove in the Blue Stars drum break in 2011 (ReBourne)

The Cadets playing on the washboards in 1996

Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini- Phantom 1996

Edited by ibexpercussion

With the preface that I am a Trooper mark... 2013 Troopers.

After spending the first month of the season being questioned about the use of the closer flag, they put that young lady in an old BB uniform and presented the flag in the middle of the sunburst at the Casper show.

Then, putting her in the white uniform starting at Allentown with the arm swing and the high mark time. Old school.