Finals DVDs

It's not even that simple.

The corps are responsible for securing arranging and performance rights prior to the start of the season. The company that produces the DVD, however, is the entity responsible for securing synchronization rights. They can't even begin that process until the season ends. Arranging and performance rights are actually pretty simple...it's the synchronization rights that are hard (and new-media/digital streaming rights, but that's a different conversation).

This as well.

No other major circuit (BoA/WGI/DCI) still sells the physical products due to the crazy world of copyright we currently live in. The future is streaming video, and unless something major changes, I don't foresee a return to the physical products anytime soon across the activity.

So if that happens, there will be no way of permanently obtaining recordings of performances? Just live streams?

Dan

you'll be able to download it. and then burn it to your own dvd.

So if that happens, there will be no way of permanently obtaining recordings of performances? Just live streams?

Dan

That is correct, although I do believe that all who are producing the live stream content are doing so in the hopes that they are able to go back one day and release the content if the situation at large were to change in the future. They're not simply throwing the content away because you never know if a breakthrough happens.

Dan

Physical media is dead (mostly, we'll sing taps in another year or two).

That said, live streams can be recorded. Downloadable content is easily archived and backed up. The beauty of digital is that it is indeed permanently obtainable.

Edited by Kamarag

when i was on tour last, we didn't even sell CDs. We sold the liner notes and cover art that came with a one time use download code.

Physical media is dead (mostly, we'll sing taps in another year or two).

That said, live streams can be recorded. Downloadable content is easily archived and backed up. The beauty of digital is that it is indeed permanently obtainable.

Was on a conference call with another Navy Base yesterday and some IT projects are not using CDs when setting up new or upgrading software. More heading that way or expecting to have a ban placed in the future. Not only one less thing to lose (security hazard) but some have been getting blank CDs in bulk that are just crap.

I had a friend ask me why she was not able to find and order DVDs for the 2015 DCI World Championships. I asked DCI about their latest status and Kathy from merchandising stated that they expect to have the licensing issue resolved by mid-November (fingers crossed). This licensing has affected all the organizations when it comes to DCI, DCA, WGI, and I believe USBands. This is why no on-demand streaming and a major delay on audio and video products. I personally do not see a major shift from physical products since most of the organizations offer blu-ray quality. I am not sure (correct me if I am wrong) but you cannot burn your own blu-ray DVDs too easily. It is possible, just not easily done. So I guess if DCI gets the licensing issue resolved will have a ripple effect.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

DVDs will be processed and shipped after all clearances and licenses have been received.....

thanks

Are there any insights into how that "after . . ." turned into "never"? Why did it seem possible, even probable, in September but not in February?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Then why is there any point in any corps to even obtain reproduction rights? If the performance is unobtainable or unsellable, then why even bother? Why not just rely upon the renegade "fan's posts" of individual performances on the Web? I'm not talking about YouTube. Because there are plenty of other sources of videos online.