Cadets 2016

Tobias

This has been bugging me for years with DCI

The idea that there is one correct style that will be rewarded. Im amazed that the corps staffs have the judges enforce these trends; well not really as self-serving hypocrisy is the bread and butter of corps staffs. For years, corps have had DCI changes rules for artistic freedom and variety but to achieve good scores, they all have to do the same type of showsso much for variety and freedom. Stupid stupid stupid.

Im not into the current trend which has grown stale anyway, watching the Cadets trying to be Blue Devils will be pathetic

Hmmm, Cadets will modify their approach, not completely change it.

And this is why it saddens me. I appreciate the Blue Devils' style only when THEY do it. I appreciate The Cadets' style because THEY do it. I think drum corps is much better appreciated when there is variety.

I kinda agree. I think the late change to the black uniforms gave the members something different to which they had to get accustomed. There were noticeable drill cleanliness differences between the black uniforms and the traditional uniforms. Although I was initially excited about the change, in retrospect, I wish they hadn't waited so late in the season to change.

Yes.

Identity of style should be maintained as much as possible IMO. MM's that are fully & truly understanding of whom they have invested [emotionally, financially, educationally] may have to concede this year if design elements dictate a shift or stylistic change that is more emulative of competitive peers.

Visual color palette scenarios/varieties undoubtedly affect both MM's ability to perform requisite alignment skill sets, as well as the visual judges' perception of proficiency. I prefer Cadets performing in their traditional uniform.

• Like 2

so - this video, the snare drummer with the blue water jug (light grey shirt) is so awesome it's not even funny

playing that aggressively and that deep into the drum in January

I guess he's a vet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7LMiAY-Iig

so - this video, the snare drummer with the blue water jug (light grey shirt) is so awesome it's not even funny

I guess he's a vet?

I don't know, George, not taking anything away from the two centers, the guys on the end are the ones that impress me. That book appears to be written for the centers as usual and the guys on the end are as easy for the judges to pick off as is the last plane in formation.

These two bookends - the skinny kid on the far end and the bearded muscle man on the near end look to my eye like their chops are darn-near as good as the centers. Sticks are straight up on the rolls, the inverted fla-fla's are all down at the 6-inch heights, and their musical control between dynamics and accents or slams is just stunning.

That book is written at 140 even though the rest of the corps' footfalls are at 70.

Those hands. Those hands.

The only thing that bugs me is that I said the same thing about them in their Feb vids last year. Then I saw BD in SoCal's early shows and their drums came out smokin'!

Now, wouldn't you like to know whose drums are keeping up and whose aren't during the season?

• Like 2

I don't know, George, not taking anything away from the two centers, the guys on the end are the ones that impress me. That book appears to be written for the centers as usual and the guys on the end are as easy for the judges to pick off as is the last plane in formation.

These two bookends - the skinny kid on the far end and the bearded muscle man on the near end look to my eye like their chops are darn-near as good as the centers. Sticks are straight up on the rolls, the inverted fla-fla's are all down at the 6-inch heights, and their musical control between dynamics and accents or slams is just stunning.

That book is written at 140 even though the rest of the corps' footfalls are at 70.

Those hands. Those hands.

The only thing that bugs me is that I said the same thing about them in their Feb vids last year. Then I saw BD in SoCal's early shows and their drums came out smokin'!

Now, wouldn't you like to know whose drums are keeping up and whose aren't during the season?

I agree there's a lot of talent on that line from end to end - some great talent and serious chops

Cadets and BD drums were both spectacular last year - the tenors of BD is probably what gave them the edge in the end

Remember SCV & Cadets I believe were tied heading into finals night. Coats were also very strong

Regarding the recaps - Sure. I would like to know. But I'm not going to lose sleep over not knowing - frankly it can be frustrating night to night to watch the swings and the "judges that hate corps X or Y" doing the same thing they do year after year

I guess he's a vet?

He is indeed a vet.